Author Topic: Antique Violin  (Read 5887 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Violin
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »
I found a couple that were in the $2000. to $2500. range but didn`t have the same adornments !!  Still,, nothing to sneeze at !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
That,s for sure,....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 03:57:59 pm »
Thank you Bigwull and mart

So some surprising news. He said that in it's present condition I could probably get 600 - 800 from ebay for the violin. He did not know the manufacturer.

He also said the bow was probably nothing. Nothing!?! I can't even find a comparable one the web just ones from the same manufacturer for 2 or 3 thousand.

They had lots of contemporary violins in the shop but nothing antique. I don't feel like I have any better of answers after talking to the expert.

I think I'm going to pony up and pay for an appraisal. I saw some photo-only online for 20 bucks. That would probably get me an idea if I should pursue it further.

Again, thanks for the info. It really helped me search around. Maybe I'll bring it back there when he isn't working.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »
Before you go paying $20 for an online "expert"...you should maybe check with these, people...in Glasgow..Scotland.. ..they do free evaluations...you just send good quality pics...not the linked one,s...one,s that you have taken,especially the bow with WR Schuster on it...and they will send you a report...just check out there site...i,ve dealt with them in the past and,..they are very good,....

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »
That is  an idea and also if there is a concert hall in your town or close to you !!  Possibly someone that plays with a string orchestra you could ask !!  People that actually play high quality instruments can tell you !! I found a while back a forum with nothing but those that play,buy and sell violins and bows !! I will see if I can find it for you after dinner !!

dnbinc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 09:29:01 am »
Before you go paying $20 for an online "expert"...you should maybe check with these, people...in Glasgow..Scotland.. ..they do free evaluations...you just send good quality pics...not the linked one,s...one,s that you have taken,especially the bow with WR Schuster on it...and they will send you a report...just check out there site...i,ve dealt with them in the past and,..they are very good,....

http://www.greatwesternauctions.com/

Thank you Bigwull! Save me some money so I can go buy more antiques!

I sent them off some pictures. Hopefully they'll know what it is.

And I thought my pictures were pretty good :( All I have is an iPhone 5 to take pictures with.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 10:50:31 am »
I can,t even send texts on my black & white £10 mobile....that i bought 10 years ago...and it was s/h,..and my digital camera is only 3.2 mp