Author Topic: antiques need identified please!  (Read 6340 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: antiques need identified please!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 07:35:24 pm »
Could be so could be rung from any side !! Like the ones Churches have that ring in a certain melodic rhythm !!

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:35 am »
I can identify one thing for you.  The box contains tear gas cartridges cartridges for a pen that discharged them, also shown in the pic.  The cartridges were .38 Special caliber and the pen was a single shot.  You pulled the lever back till it "set" then used the trigger button to shoot it.  I had a friend who was a bartender and one night a girl walked in, opened her handbag, withdrew one of these and said she had bought it that day.  Ray asked her, "How does it work?"  She said, "Like this," and fired it off. He said that they had to empty the bar, call the fire department, and ventilate the bar for an hour to get all the gas out.  I would guess the pen gun and cartridges would bring $50-$60 to someone as a collector item.  Modern day pepper spray and Mace have made them obsolete.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
I can identify one thing for you.  The box contains tear gas cartridges cartridges for a pen that discharged them, also shown in the pic.  The cartridges were .38 Special caliber and the pen was a single shot.  You pulled the lever back till it "set" then used the trigger button to shoot it.  I had a friend who was a bartender and one night a girl walked in, opened her handbag, withdrew one of these and said she had bought it that day.  Ray asked her, "How does it work?"  She said, "Like this," and fired it off. He said that they had to empty the bar, call the fire department, and ventilate the bar for an hour to get all the gas out.  I would guess the pen gun and cartridges would bring $50-$60 to someone as a collector item.  Modern day pepper spray and Mace have made them obsolete.
...All they,d get you over here is anything up to 5 years in prison...and long may it continue....and i would have thought..showing them on an open forum...that the whole world can see...is a bit....well you know what i mean.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 04:34:16 pm »
Well, you better hope the UK doesn't discard all their armaments and get attacked by someone who hasn't.  I don't think we will be able to pull your fat out of the fire again.  LOL

Spededdy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 05:39:36 pm »
I think the lamp and shade if in good condition with no scratches or stains would bring $30. to $40.  Has a bit of a deco feel and many like that !!  Have you looked for a name on it ??
Can we see the underside of that bell ??  What was your fathers occupation ?? Bell looks quite different from those normally seen !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 06:05:23 pm »
Well, you better hope the UK doesn't discard all their armaments and get attacked by someone who hasn't.  I don't think we will be able to pull your fat out of the fire again.  LOL
You pull us out of the fire again??..I shall treat that remark..with the "Contempt" it deserves...if that,s your line of thought..then i think maybe i,m in the wrong place.... >:( >:( >:( >:(.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ikeithireland

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 01:49:00 am »
The ring look like it has the OLD STYLE crest of the USCG.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 09:15:11 am »
Hopefully that was a finger malfunction wullie....I took it very negative as well.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »
I think you need to have that bell looked at by someone familiar with them !!  Could be brass or bronze but it may have some age to it !!  Almost looks like it has been in the water a while !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »
If I remember my history correctly, the British isles stood for quite awhile virtually alone against the Nazis with a collective bravery never before seen....
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford