Author Topic: old soldier  (Read 4488 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: old soldier
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
    Wow that work had to find a site for Scottish slang and found this, just had to sound smart and beat Willie.

Noun Tumshie or turnip. Also used to define persons of a rural persuasion, generally by a gadgie

Now I just have to figure out gadgie,  wow and I have a tough time with the American Language "English"   ???  ???

gadgie  got me this       Noun An old tinker word meaning a person from a town. Nowadays tends to be used to describe persons from the Central Belt - having implications similar to 'schemie' with regard to dress sense, intellect and big dug ownership. Used a lot by neeps.

Aggh Schemie now,   :o

Noun A person who inhabits a large housing scheme in the Central Belt. Identifiable by lack of intellect, dress sense and money. Always wears trackie bottoms, an Old Firm top, back to front baseball cap and is usually being dragged around by large doag. AKA Gadgie, minker, midgie raker.

Why didn't you just say "Hick"  L ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:01:40 pm by ironlord1963 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 01:16:04 am »
   Wow that work had to find a site for Scottish slang and found this, just had to sound smart and beat Willie.

Noun Tumshie or turnip. Also used to define persons of a rural persuasion, generally by a gadgie

Now I just have to figure out gadgie,  wow and I have a tough time with the American Language "English"   ???  ???

gadgie  got me this       Noun An old tinker word meaning a person from a town. Nowadays tends to be used to describe persons from the Central Belt - having implications similar to 'schemie' with regard to dress sense, intellect and big dug ownership. Used a lot by neeps.

Aggh Schemie now,   :o

Noun A person who inhabits a large housing scheme in the Central Belt. Identifiable by lack of intellect, dress sense and money. Always wears trackie bottoms, an Old Firm top, back to front baseball cap and is usually being dragged around by large doag. AKA Gadgie, minker, midgie raker.

Why didn't you just say "Hick"  L ;D
Ironlord...you,ve done a good job,de-cyphering my Scots slang... but you missed the all important connection...with my reference to a Neep,...in relation to KC,s..Oui! Oui! French...No...Swede, little soldier....you were nearly there with tumshie....but you missed our definition of neep, ...which is for "someone who is not the full shilling"   = nothing between the ears,....and now to KC,s Swede soldier = Neep = Swede....a swede is a variety of Turnip...which has a purple skin and its what we Scots used for Lanterns at Halloween....right up until the late  60,s    then with the advent of supermarkets and from all the Americans that lived here...we then saw the pumpkin take over,as a lantern...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 01:53:54 am »
     So then it is someone that is as bright as a 2 watt bulb?  :P

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 02:03:02 am »
you got it...I worked offshore in the Gulf,for a few years and there were a few Neeps on that Rig,...and they all came from Texas..and Louisiana...and ..i don,t care if i never eat Gumbo again in my life....or smell a tobacco chewin Texan....yuk..... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 10:28:48 am »
Made me L A U G H   O U T   L O U D!!!!!!!!!!!!   Texans and Louisianans!!!   (I am headed to Louisiana in a few days to visit my eldest!)

I got to admit ironlord1963, I also have scrounged to find a Scottish dialect/crude slang dictionary with Wullie on here!  I bet quite a few others have as well!   LOLOL  And yes I looked it up also...but the Wikipedia answer made me laugh so hard because whoever wrote it is harder to understand than Wullie!  LOL  http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neep
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!