Author Topic: Silver with Gold inside Bowl with Handles  (Read 1867 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
Silver with Gold inside Bowl with Handles
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:44:28 pm »
Hello my forum friends!

I come with an item that I doubt it is antique, but I don't know. Maybe vintage? There was no information about it when I got it from the auction. Evidently they didn't know either. There are no marks and someone did try to clean the tarnish off of it. I can see how it was quite difficult to do, because I tried to get what was left of the tarnish off and it was hard to do - esp the little handles. It is very pretty. I just don't know what it is.  My husband and I guessed, some kind of communion or rather host bowl.  There are these little dangling handles on it. I will post a picture below.

Thanks for any input ahead of time. I completely understand if no one has any ideas of what it could be. Maybe it is just a regular bowl, I don't know. :)

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Silver with Gold inside Bowl with Handles
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »
How big is it ??  Are there any markings on the bottom ??

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 08:07:39 pm »
Hi Mart!

It is 5 inches in diameter (measuring at the top) and 3 1/4 inches tall. There are no markings. My husband and I looked at it and thought it needed cleaning in one spot (that we thought might be covering the markings) and here it appears that someone might have purposely tried buffing/scratching out the markings on the bottom (possibly). It is quite heavy for the size of it.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:55:49 pm »
     It appears to be a piece made by Godinger, modern silverplate, usually very thin and will wear away easy, The inside is called Gold wash.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:27:00 am »
Can`t think of what it may have been used for originally,, but I would put one of the big fat candles in it !!  Sometimes when people are selling items,, it is more of an advantage for the buyer to not know what the marks are !!  Especially if an item looks more expensive that it actually is !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:39:50 pm »
I have one similar in size and design (will post when I get back home - on the road).  It is for sugar cubes or mints.  Works well with tea sets or as a stand alone.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 01:59:55 pm »
Thank you! They definitely did. I feel dumb. Then again I see how they try to get money out of stuff by making it sound older.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:11:21 pm »
Or not saying anything at all !! Hitting the high points and letting people decide for themselves !!