Author Topic: what are these small stone bullet looking things?  (Read 1273 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
what are these small stone bullet looking things?
« on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:52 am »
i came across a box of smalls at an antique auction and at the bottom of the box were these 4 old stone objects. to me, they look like bullets, but i dont beleive that can be so. two of them appear to have been smashed and the other two are still in good condition. the two in tact objects prove they are not molded but more likely formed by hand, the holes in the bottom are different sizes and the lines on the sides are not exactly the same. there are two groved lines going around each one and a small hole in the bottom. does anyone have any sort of clue what they are? it has been plaguing me for a while now. thanks in advance!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: what are these small stone bullet looking things?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
Are they stone or metal?  Look like bullets!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

GoatTea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:31 am »
Yes they are projectiles (bullets). We find them all of the time while metal detecting (other hobby). Some of the 3 ringers are collectible from the civil war era. Unfortunately I don't have many details to offer. Some were crudely made in the field in war situations. Others smashed when they made impact. Soldiers even carved them into designs to pass time. The "stone" look is just corrosion or patina. Might even have a musket ball there. Not junk.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:04:00 pm by GoatTea »

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 03:01:24 pm »
Good ID there GoatTea. You just got your first K.

It looks like we have a duplicate thread here. Can they be merged?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:04:41 pm by frogpatch »