Author Topic: Information on this artist  (Read 4824 times)

suckerfish

• View Profile
Re: Information on this artist
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 05:27:13 am »
Hi All,

I realize this thread was started awhile ago , but anyway , i was very curious about the previous posts and bought the book referred by Wendy.
It seems that the signature is in fact quite different to the one on my painting.  Two main differences:
1. The example in the book is signed using the full name - i.e. Eugene E White, whereas my painting is simply signed as "Eugine"
2. My painting looks like Eugine NOT Eugene (with an 'e')

Just thought id throw this back to everyone to see if anyone had any other ideas? Im very keen to find out some info on this artist and would greatly appreciate any input.

Attached is the example from the "Black Collectibles" book which i don't believe to be the same .
I have also attached part of the backing of the painting which displays what looks be maybe a date ?  "L 7\15\6"
Other photos are in the original post.

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 09:53:31 am »
Did we ever ask how big this painting is ??  If not,, please tell us !!

suckerfish

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »
Hi Mart, good to see you're still around :)

The dimensions are approx. 41cm  x 55cm (including frame).. About 35cm x 51cm excluding.
I have also recently sent the information to Christies to see if they can provide on one their free online valuations.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 09:20:39 am »
Can`t be a date !!  Masonite wasn`t invented till 1924 and not in common use till 30`s or 40`s !!  Wouldn`t be used for artwork in early days since the surface was sealed with linseed oil and paint wouldn`t stick well !!
 I am still hitting a blank on the artist !!  He just doesn`t exist in the artworld that I can find !! I checked several more ways to see if anything came up but no luck !!
In looking again,, did you ever post a pic of that artist`s signature ??  That style reminds me a lot of the early modernist movement of the 60`s !!
It was not gallery framed but rather was done by someone not too experienced in framing !!  Those nails would never be used by a gallery and the frame itself is too large for that size artwork !!  Now we get back to hobby painter !!  Could they have been mistaken about having it insured ??   Would they have been talking about a different painting ??
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:36:05 pm by mart »

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 05:12:22 am »
The painting looks to me like a personalized take on American regionalist artist Thomas Hart Benton, ca. early to mid 20th century.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

suckerfish

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 02:24:19 am »
Thank you very much for your input guys, ill keeping following up some leads and be sure to let you know if i find an answer!
appreciate the help. I actually have another painting im trying to discover the origins of also , but ill start another thread for that.