Author Topic: Homemade Dress Form  (Read 1218 times)

suesyl

• View Profile
Homemade Dress Form
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
We found this dress form in the back of the attic of a house that we bought from the owners who had it since 1910, the house was built in 1865. I believe this form is female, though her bosom has been flattened, the sway of the back makes me think female. It is made of brown paper machet. There are no tears or rips. A couple of water stains, but no softening. It is on a wood stand, walnut I think. I never think to have a picture when I go to antique shops, but so far no one has ever heard of one like this.  Any help with dating it or value would be appreciated.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Homemade Dress Form
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 08:27:44 pm »
I looked at a few papier mache` dress forms and they were pretty common in early 1900`s !!  Some looked like yours and you would have thought home made but were not !!  Few had a bust and again some did not !!  Possibly could be used for either sex !!  Also found some vintage kits for making your own papier mache` dress form !!   Is yours adjustable for more than one size ??

suesyl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:44 am »
Great information. No, this one has no adjustments. I do see a "36" penciled on it. Possible that they would pad it for a larger size? Is there any value? I have included another picture. Thanks for helping me out. Where can I find more information, my queries don't bring up anything.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:10:03 am »
 Could be a bust size or a mans shirt size, 32-34=small 34-36=medium 36-38 large, 38-40XL Chest size !!  Or about the same for a lady !!  Could have been used for either !! They were thrifty back then and not necessarily bought one for each gender !!  Bra`s back then were also different so adjusting for bust size not that much of a problem !!  Talesofthesevenseas can probably tell you more because she sews clothing of that period.  Maybe she will get in on this today !! Try googling "early 1900`s papier mache` dress form" !!  Thats what I did !!  You will find many different types !!  Ebay is good to check too !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 05:04:32 pm »
They are becoming more and more collectible.  I would hold on to it if possible!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »
Most similar to this were around $100. to $150. !!