Author Topic: Meet "Rebecca"  (Read 6990 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Meet "Rebecca"
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 01:45:53 pm »
I know nothing about dolls whatsoever, but the overall look + lace looks more like 1890 - 1910.

Like I said.......
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »
Yes, I think you and Bigwull both got the date right.  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 12:36:27 am »
Here are the details. I guess it was bothering me that the face looks more 'cutesie' than any antique rag dolls I have seen before. More like something someone would make now to look old. There are so many primitive dolls that are age distressed to look old. But there just isn't anything on this doll that isn't antique and even under magnification, everything looks old, aged and authentic.

Here's an up close shot on the gown. Look at the weave of the fabric, the way that the fabric is light in the folds where it was protected and dark on the exposed surfaces. That's 'doll patina' LOL! Look also at how the lace is made. I do think it is machine made because it is very consistent throughout, but it looks like old machining and not modern mass-produced. (see the article on lace posted earlier) It is soft, light and delicate old cotton, no feel of artificial fibers.

The note up-close, looks like fountain pen with the occasional blobs of ink, especially on the G in Grandma's

Up-close on the ribbon and rose. The rose is folded and spiraled from a ribbon. The lace tied into the bow looks more like it might be handmade. It's very soft, fragile, fine and feels very, very old. Probably something salvaged from an older dress.

Under the gown looking at the body, you can see it is stuffed with printed fabric.

Here's the full length, I do think she is intended to be a baby. The gown is twice as long as her body.

Up close on the face.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 06:32:51 am »
A good, detailed analysis 7Seas.  You could be a "doll appraiser!"

Agree that the garment resembles a christening gown, thus reinforcing your opinion that this is meant to be an infant.

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 09:33:22 am »
This is interesting, I posted the photos on the Ebay doll forum. They say she's a fake and age-distressed. If she's faked, someone made her with antique materials. I may have to run her into a doll shop for a hands-on.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
"It looks like a duck, smells like a duck, is made like a duck."

Seems like a duck to me! ;)

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:18 am »
I am hoping for a duck LOL, but either way, she's a keeper, and I think I will learn a lot on this one, however it turns out.

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 10:43:01 am »
she is soooo pretty, and so refreshing to think how imagination was magic once upon a time.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 11:34:35 am »
Well gang, I think it is turning out that our dear Rebecca is a folksie-fakesie! Two things are bothering me. The face seems too cute to be antique and I am not seeing rust staining from the pin or acid staining from the paper. Have a look at the comments from the Ebay doll forum: http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Dolls/Confirmation-Of-Id/5100126349

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:42 pm »
I can't believe someone would assemble all these vintage/historic materials,  stuff that passed the authenticity test with you and the antiquers in this forum, all for $38.00!!

It seems absurd.

I was not able to open the link on my kindle BTW.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:28:42 pm by ghopper1924 »

-Broderick Crawford

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 12:28:54 pm »
I'll run her over to the doll shop to be sure. It's not too far from where I work. I do believe that the seller believes her to be authentic, I think if we have a Repro Rebecca, it was done some time ago and not by this seller.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 09:47:51 pm »
I can't believe someone would assemble all these vintage/historic materials,  stuff that passed the authenticity test with you and the antiquers in this forum, all for $38.00!!

It seems absurd.

I was not able to open the link on my kindle BTW.
The only kindle,I know is the little sticks i use to start up my woodburner... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 10:51:47 pm »
We shall see. The materials look and feel authentic, but I'm bothered by a few things. If I had to be wrong about one of my antiques, I don't mind it being this one. I didn't spend much and it will be a good learning experience. Everyone gets taken in by a well-done repro at some point, even museum curators, historians and long-time collectors. The note gets me though. Putting a handwritten note on a reproduction just seems like it would be almost a malicious effort at deception. But again, it's not a big deal and I will learn, learn, learn!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2012, 07:39:05 am »
Agree about the note,  and the price still seems low for such subterfuge. But, like I said,  what do I know about dolls? ;D

-Broderick Crawford