Author Topic: 4 Key wind pocket watch "movements only" which I need to identify  (Read 2755 times)

lenny

• View Profile
Hi to all loads of info needed from all the experts on here

I have 5 key wind pocket watch "movements only", which I need to identify Ive numbered each one from 1 to 5
on each picture to help, so if you have any info on any of these movements can you please say which number
your referring to.

Any info would be of great help to me and much appriciated.
Thank you for taking the time to view this Thread.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: 4 Key wind pocket watch "movements only" which I need to identify
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:09:30 am »
Although your pictures are very good, I can't read the name. It say Geneve which is Swiss but the name above I can only read &Son on my laptop. The other name in script looks like H Lam....to me. Can you clarify that for us?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 10:41:26 am »
on pic 3 can you give us the name above Geneve....i can enlarge the pic but the angle of it makes it difficult to read the word...i keep seeing russia in the middle of it....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 01:06:33 pm »
Hi Guys thanks for taking a look

On pic 3 the name above Geneve is Thrussell & son

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 01:18:29 pm »
Pic 1 I think it says FC.Samuel

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:30:46 pm »
i think this is the maker...

Thomas Russell is first listed as a watch manufacturer in 1848 and he had premises at 20 Slater Street, Liverpool. At a later date, he moved to 30 Slater Street where the ‘Russell Time O’Day watches’ were manufactured. About 1859, Thomas appears to have handed over the control of the company to Thomas Robert Russell and Alfred Holgate Russell, and the firm changed it’s name to Thomas Russell and Son. By 1877 the company moved premises to Church Street, Liverpool. The partnership between Thomas Robert and Alfred ended in 1870. Thomas Russell & Son, after Queen Victoria’s death, signed their watches ‘Makers to Queen Victoria’ even though officially the warrant had ceased with the Queens death. This was tolerated for a time before it was removed from their watches.. Thomas Robert continued as the proprietor of the Russell Watch and Chronometer Manufactory at Cathedral Works, 18 Church Street, Liverpool with addresses in Piccadilly, London and Toronto, Canada. This became Russell’s Limited in 1894. From this date it seems that they continued as retail jewellers with branches in Liverpool and, by the early 1900’s, Manchester and Llandudno. Alfred Russell continued the company of Thomas Russell and Son (Alfred Russell & Co). This company was listed in 1880 as ‘watch and chronometer manufacturers and machine made keyless lever and jewellery merchants by appointment to Her majesty the Queen and HRM the Duke of Edinburgh and the Admiralty’. In 1881, they became importers of Swiss watches, music boxes etc. Eventually, the firm was converted to a limited company and by 1938 had become Thomas Russell & Son Watch Co Ltd.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »
Thanks bigwull this is what i love about forums people like you bigwull and oihers who go out there way to help others  8).

Another question I have is does any one know if there is any value in any off these movements
or are they just scrap

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »
I would say it has some value...Is it just the movement that you have...here is a selection of Russell watches for sale....

http://www.saledoo.co.uk/russell-watch?t=su-3-226777_5337150825

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 07:06:40 pm »
Thaks for the link bigwull, here is some info ive found from another forum how close do you think he is with dating movement 3

Going by the bridge layout, certainly #3 is a Swiss movement from the middle of the 19th century. The others are probably English or English copies."

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 07:25:44 pm »
the text that i posted regarding dates...put,s pic 3 at around 1870+...because after Q,Vics death in 1901 they signed the movements differently...so i would say its safe to assume that late 19th cent...is about right....so its around 120/130 years old...and if it works as well as it looks,then i,m sure it will have value...who knows..there might be someone out there that has one that has a boogered movement...and their just waiting for yours to come along....