Author Topic: candle holder / flower vase????  (Read 1812 times)

isamike

• View Profile
candle holder / flower vase????
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »
Hi, we found this item on a family walk this summer....we've searched the internet, gone to antique stores to no avail...we'd  like to get an idea of it's origins and date it. We think it is of Dutch origin because of the windmills engraved on it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: candle holder / flower vase????
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
   It appears to be a fluted Vase, but without full picture I am unsure.   Are there any markings, appears to be really dirty Silverplate or Silver.  Windmill might suggest Dutch but no necessary, will have to have markings to pinpoint all the information.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:13:33 pm »
Need to see the entire object !! I would guess its pewter !! Doesn`t look like the correct oxidation for silver !!  Hard to tell really !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:07:34 am »
     yea not silver for sure, I would go along with pewter, as for much more would need marks. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:16 am »
Photobucket takes too long for me so will wait till after the holiday and look for pics posted to this site !!  I am cooking so don`t have time to wait !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 09:26:16 am »
Very nice piece in decoration! Can you tell a little more on how it was found (location, had to dig it up, etc.)

I would suggest white metal/spelter or pewter.  Definitely a decorative fluted bud base in appearance and detailed with scenes of Holland, etc.  (Pewter that comes into contact with food is generally referred to as sadware. Pewter that doesn't come into contact with food or drink/consumption known as lay or "ley" pewter can have a lead content up to 15% with the rest of the tin and metals - thus it oxidizes more.)

The item needs a GENTLE cleaning to see if there are any marks/markings to identify the maker.

Oxidation on metal or pewter of course depends on what it has been subjected to over a period of time.  You state you found it on a walk....so it was in the dirt, subjected to the elements, etc....and it has corroded.

Would suggest that you get a METAL POLISH/CLEANER (DO NOT use one for silver - it will ruin your piece for sure!) and see if it will help clean it up.  Use a very soft cloth first then a soft brush!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:47:50 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!