Author Topic: What are these? Copper state seals?  (Read 2038 times)

Antman

• View Profile
What are these? Copper state seals?
« on: November 25, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »
Hello! I'm new here but I did read the rules and it says to do some of my own research which I did.

When my father was 10 his neighbor would hand him these odd seals. He told him they would be worth money one day.

The only thing I could find is that they are seals off of concealed weapon permits. Here is a pic.

mart

• View Profile
Re: What are these? Copper state seals?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »
Why do you think they are for concealed weapons ??  And why would one have a seal for a concealed weapon,, the whole point is that no one knows you have it !! Concealed,,,hidden !!  I am simply thinking and typing !!  Welcome to the forum btw !!  Forgot to say that first !!  Let me look a bit !!
Oh and what year were these given ??

Antman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 06:45:57 pm »
Sometime in the early 60's. around 62 or so

And I'm not sure I tried to find something on them and I see them on badges. Mostly concealed weapon badges.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:20:40 pm »
Do you know what business the man was in that gave them ??  Do they have pin backs ?? Can you take a pic of the back of one ??

Antman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 07:27:29 pm »
The man made badges.

They do not have a pin on the back. Here is a pic.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 07:44:37 pm »
Are these lapel size or larger like between a quarter and a half dollar ??  Lapel size would be approx dime or slightly larger !!

mart

• View Profile

Antman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 08:04:14 pm »
There are 3 different sizes. I have one for almost very state in the quarter sized ones and only 1 medium and one small. Here are comparison pics

From left to right, the coins compared to a quarter a nickel and a dime. Furthest left is the size I have almost every state in, it's the biggest one. The middle is the medium size with a nickel. And the right is the smallest one I have only 1 of, smaller than a dime!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 07:49:05 am »
Not entirely sure but I would bet that your fathers friend had a Badge-a-minit machine !!  Back in the 50`s 60`s 70`s,,in the back of many magazines you could find ads for these machines !!  Some people did buy them and set up business at county fairs, festivals, ect !! They purchased the blanks from the maker according to where they went and made a number of these on the spot !! They were sold as souveniers !! Most had a post back like the one in the link I gave above !!

Antman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:27 pm »
Oh ok cool.

I guess they're not worth much than, they're still kinda cool though. Maybe Ill display them or something.

Thanks for all the help.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 04:31:50 pm »
Well value depends on how you look at it !!  Back then I am sure a dollar for each would be a fortune to a ten year old !!  And that the man thought enough of your father to give them to him !!  He could have sold them for himself !!   Value is not always measured in dollars and cents !!