Author Topic: Ebay shipping prices!  (Read 4420 times)

fentonfrk

• View Profile
Ebay shipping prices!
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:58 pm »
Why are shipping prices so rediculous any more. You find an item that is buy it now for, lets say, $7.99, but the shipping is almost 20 bucks! I always take into consideration the shipping cost when i bid on something, but most of the time the shipping alone is more than the item is worth. Its getting really annoying feeling like sellers are taking advantage of buyers to pocket some extra cash!!!
Todays find is tomorrows treasure!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Re: Ebay shipping prices!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
I can't speak for all sellers. Only myself. My shipping prices have gone up for a few reasons. The main one being my costs have gone up. Whenever rates are hiked up by USPS, then I need to raise mine. Most of my listings are on consignment from clients, so free shipping is out of the question (it would be difficult to explain why my rates hover around the 50% mark). But another factor is that eBay has imposed an additional fee if you do not offer free shipping. They take a percentage of the shipping costs and charge it back to me. Before I used to err on the lower side for shipping, and know that in the end, the books would be close to balanced regarding shipping income vs shipping expenses. Now, because of this additional fee, I have to raise my shipping prices up another 5% or so. When you spend $4K-$5K every year with USPS, being off $100 one way or the other in the books isn't going to be the end of the world. But if I start losing $200, $300, $500 a year, then charges need to be made to update my previous business model.

But some sellers are just jackasses.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:24:15 pm »
Some sellers use the shipping and handling as another income opportunity !! Have no idea what would cost that much !! Priority mail 5# and less has been running me $8.05 with $.75 for tracking !!  $8.80 for that weight isn`t bad !! Lighter packages can be sent 1st class and save a bit !! You just have to ask the person you are buying from to send it that way !! Some sellers really rip you off with charges so I will not bid on an item if thats what it is !!  Read feedback and see what others say before bidding !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:49:53 pm »
I use a lot of Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. They are amazing when you need them. I just shipped 11 pounds of vintage magazines to Sweden, and it was only $47.95 instead of the $60.00 it would have been in a regular box.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:23:21 pm »
When i buy something I check the shipping price with USPS myself !!  If the amounts differ drastically,, i don`t buy it !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »
I'm with you mart!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »
      Ah the biggest battle since the dawn of time.  Sellers trying to get to most and Buyers trying to get the least.   This has never and most likely will never change.  Overall if you don't agree with the price you don't buy it.  Anyway I had to pipe in a bit on this subject cause I see both sides every day not only in my Ebay adventures but even more so at work.   To side with the sellers I will have to point out that there are many hidden cost in shipping that a buyer is not always aware of.  I do sell lots of glass and have found myself spending upwards of 3 extra dollars just to pack a item safely on top of the $12.00 to $15.00 to ship it to the east coast.  I will not use cheap newspaper or single wall card board boxes for these item, to much of a risk.  I just know that even good packing tape cost and I track my cost to the pennies on a spread sheet and let me tell you it is usually at a loss, and then you get those emails from the buyer, trying to get a cheaper rate because the other guys are offer it cheaper.    At work where we have to keep the cost different last year our shipping cost was $20,000.00 over what we received, we did make 5 mill that year but we daily get email complaining about shipping cost.  Personnally and with all due respect we need to get over it, we complain about a $20.00 shipping charge and will spend that at Mcdonalds for a meal and not complain, on a good day I spend that in coffee, This is the 21st century and not the days when even I could remember $4.00 shipping rates but then one dollar will get you a meal too.
      Now I do understand the buying aspect too, but if I don't like the price tag I walk away, just as I would at a store, nothing really has changed except $20.00 does not feel like $20.00 anymore.  O.k. Sorry I had to jump on the soap box a bit, cause I get this so much and see both sides.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:29:20 am »
As a small seller I can do a few things that save a lot !! My boxes are from the dollar store and are twice as heavy as can be found for sale and they are free !!  I do use bubble wrap on glass but my packing is all the plastic bags you get from WalMart, grocery stores ect !! They are lighter than anything else, and when I ship glass I put it in the center of the box with the plastic bags stuffed around it tightly !! Glassware sort of floats in the middle of the box !! Never had a piece broken !! And its recycling !!