Author Topic: Chinese ginger jar  (Read 1621 times)

oldstuff

• View Profile
Chinese ginger jar
« on: November 28, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
Hi all I'm back again.

This is another one of the things my mother left me. I believe it was the early seventies when she
bought it.
I've looked a bit on Ebay but I can't find anything that really matches up.

Height approx 10", no marks on the base or anywhere else.
Any help is much appreciated.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Chinese ginger jar
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:58:24 pm »
     A shot of the bottom will sometimes give us a clue to age.  Appears hand painted, which would be a plus.  I would guess Mid Century at best from the looks, but could be from the occupied era of Japan, cause quality is a bit poor overall.  As for value not much if all mentioned above is so, $20.00 tops.  One thing that might help if you don't get a picture for us is if the foot (ring) is glazed or unglazed, much of the early pottery is unglazed Foot and sometimes the whole bottom, more modern is totally Glazed, and general wear on the bottom wiill sometimes help.  If a item is unmarked as such, one will find it next to impossible to get a maker, so Age is what is need,  If you can prove it to be earlier you will get a boost in value.  So much of this is abound, it started with the Occupied period in which 1000's was made to be exported, to help the post war economy, and into the 70's, espically handpainted ones, Later then this well it just looks new,  unless you find one of these with that faux Glaze Crazing that has become really popular, Here let us sale you a Antique Looking one for more then the Real Antique  ;)   Anyway Looks like I got into one of my Babble modes.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »
Need to see the bottom and also need to see the inside of the top !!  If you haven`t noticed the top is uneven !!  Or is it just the pic ??

oldstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »
Well thanks for your help ironlord1963 and mart, I will take a few more pics.

It's ironic when you say it's probably worth about $20 because I know my mother paid
way more for that and that was 40 years ago when a dollar was a dollar.

I know, I know and I understand that lots of stuff has lost value because the young ones are not
interested in most of these items (including my kids) and there is too much around because
us older ones are dying off leaving all this stuff around.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:01:34 pm »
    Yes it is sad in many ways, but for those who love the old Antiques can get them for cheap, I know my home is filled to the brim with items from Victorian to mid century, all acquired ( purchased for bigwull Language )  :D all at cost 1/4 of buying the newer mass produced items of today.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:42:03 am »
Yes,, 40 years ago items like this did cost more but it was mainly because of a surge in collecting and decorating with them !!  Not because of actual value !!  Few years later importers flooded the market with similar items for the same reason and value went down even more !!