Author Topic: old tool  (Read 3872 times)

JAT

• View Profile
Re: old tool
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:21:49 pm »
Addendum:  I forgot to ask/mention (sorry) - If the owner of this piece is able to look over the top of the weight of this tool and there is a hole in it, additional weights can be added. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »

The "ball" at the top is actually a weight which would not be used for hitting with a hammer. 

With that heavy "return" spring on the shaft I really don't think that "weight" would have much affect on the way it functions.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 02:25:33 pm »
What is the name of the tool ?? Might help us learn a bit !!

JAT

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 02:35:47 pm »
Weight does have an affect on the way it functions having to do with what one is wishing to accomplish, i.e., depth and/or weight of metal, etc.  The spring does give resistance but also brings the bar back to its neutral position and with the size of the top of the bar it does appear that more weight can be added which has been seen on these tools.  Unfortunately we at the moment do not know if there is a hole at the top in order to add additional weights on it or not.  Some do, some don't.

With that heavy "return" spring on the shaft I really don't think that "weight" would have much affect on the way it functions.
[/quote]

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:15 am »
Weight does have an affect on the way it functions having to do with what one is wishing to accomplish, i.e., depth and/or weight of metal, etc.  The spring does give resistance but also brings the bar back to its neutral position ...

Well now, if you say-so, JAT, that's fine with me.

But now iffen I had designed that tool  ..... I would have left the "weight" off the top of the shaft ....... and used a smaller spring to "return the bar back to its neutral position".

"A penny saved (in manufacturing cost) is a penny earned".