Author Topic: Caswell Runyan Cedar Chest - age?  (Read 9801 times)

jfhjr

• View Profile
Caswell Runyan Cedar Chest - age?
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »
Hello - first time poster here just looking for some information.

My friend has a cedar chest with a Caswell Runyan stamp on the underside of the lid, and on the bottom it has stenciled "Style No. 4300" and "Serial No. 101429". We were interested in finding out the age of this chest if at all possible. I have read up on the company enough to know that it was only in business from 1907 until 1956, but we wondered if there was any way using the above information that we could get a closer age of the chest. Unfortunately the mahogany veneer front had been damaged so he started refinishing it before I told him he shouldn't have, so we aren't worried about what it is worth really.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for us. I appreciate it greatly!

John in Kentucky

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Caswell Runyan Cedar Chest - age?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »
Do they not have Camera,s in Kentucky....or is it just chock full of varmints...we need pics...thats photographs...taken with a digital camera....without them..its like scrambling about in the dark.... ;D ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »
What he is saying is,, can we get a pic please !!

jfhjr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »
Do they not have Camera,s in Kentucky....or is it just chock full of varmints...we need pics...thats photographs...taken with a digital camera....without them..its like scrambling about in the dark.... ;D ;D

I didn't expect rudeness, but I DID supply the Model and Serial number and thought that would be enough. I don't own a digital camera or a phone with a camera, and besides, like I said, the piece has been completely sanded down and refinished so it wouldn't look anything like the original piece.

If someone can help answer this using the information I have provided, I would be much obliged. Any troll posts with henceforth be ignored.

I only need the Approximate Year it was made.

Peace!
John in Kentucky
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:36:33 pm by jfhjr »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »
The style of the chest and how it was made would have told us a lot,, so would the stamp !!  Companies rarely use the same stamp throughout their years of operation !! Many can be dated by that !!  Style number is only helpful if you are the one building the chest !! Serial number might help you if you can find a catalogue from the company !!
Wullie was not being rude,,its just his Scots humor that we are all used to !! Perhaps you should have told us that you had no way of taking a pic !! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »
http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7170.0;wap2
Here is a past discussion from our group that may give you info !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:07 pm »

I didn't expect rudeness, but I DID supply the Model and Serial number and thought that would be enough. I don't own a digital camera or a phone with a camera, and besides, like I said, the piece has been completely sanded down and refinished so it wouldn't look anything like the original piece.

If someone can help answer this using the information I have provided, I would be much obliged. Any troll posts with henceforth be ignored.

I only need the Approximate Year it was made.

Peace!
John in Kentucky
Oh,...diddums...did you get out of the wrong side of the bed.this morning....obviousl y my Scottish humour...has fallen on a humourless person...or one that needs to lighten up......as for ..Trolls...would that be this kind....or the other kind...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,