Author Topic: Eglin National Coffee Mill  (Read 7573 times)

Ponza

• View Profile
Eglin National Coffee Mill
« on: June 01, 2011, 10:14:22 pm »
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I have a question on this particular item.  I have researched this coffee mill and have yet to find one on the internet that is identical to the one my Grandmother has.  She said she has had it for longer than she can recall.  The item is an upright coffee mill dating back before 1900.  Around 6 foot in height and weighs over 90 lbs.  It has Eglin National Coffee Mill on the outside of a large wheel.  It has the C. H. Woodruff Company on the back of the larger wheel.  This is the tricky part, all the other coffee mills have Woodruff and Edwards on the larger mill because they formed this company after 1900.  The mill I have only has C.H. Woodruff and Co. and are from 1889-1900.  I have read these early pieces of coffee mills are museum worthy for many collectors.  Any information would be great, thanks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Eglin National Coffee Mill
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:32 pm »
Well,, you have stirred my interest !!  Could we see a pic ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 01:12:46 pm »
"In 1889 the C. H. Woodruff foundry, which had been making school furniture almost exclusively, introduced the Elgin National coffee mill for groceries, hotels, and restaurants. Sales were brisk, and the number of employees rose from 40 to 65 within a year.
The first mills were painted black or maroon with gilt striping. The hoppers were either black or polished nickel. The grinding burrs were steel. The two large turning wheels were adapted for use by either hand or motor power.
Elgin National mills were later made in both counter top and floor models and were finished in red, blue, and gold bronze colors. The largest was 68-1/2 inches high, had wheels 34 inches in diameter, and weighed 365 pounds. It could hold up to nine pounds for grinding. The smallest, for household use, was only about a foot high and weighed 20 pounds.
Before production ended in 1917, when a fire destroyed the molds, coffee mill wheels were used by Elgin boys on the pushmobile and coaster cars they built during the years of the Elgin Road Races. The Elgin Nationals are now highly prized by antique collectors and can be seen as period pieces in many historical exhibits. One way of determining the age of an Elgin made mill is the name of the manufacturer on the wheel. The C. H. Woodruff Company did not become Woodruff & Edwards until 1900"  http://www.elginhistory.com/dgb/ch23.htm

Betting yours is like the one on this page with the stand attached (circa 1890).  People would purchase the top part only for a tabletop version....or have the stand with it for a freestanding version.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4512307

There is also this model with a different stand

This next one weighs appx 175 lbs.

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=353330

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:30:24 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ponza

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:13 pm »
Sorry it took so long to reply, here are the pics.  Any idea what I should offer for these?

Ponza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:49 pm »
And another few pictures.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:48:23 pm »
One thing regarding value that I can see is that the grinder has been set up to be power driven with a flat belt.