Author Topic: WWII Helmet that I had spoke of on an earlier post  (Read 5149 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: WWII Helmet that I had spoke of on an earlier post
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »
I have heard of this group before!  My family is really into the history!  Need to read back up on it again...after I return to town.  Brave man your dad!  You must be proud of him!

My Uncle Mac gave my brother a helmet he had gotten from the war...and it rusted to pieces!  In fact Tom Hanks has been talking to my cousin (and families of other pilots) to make a movie about the Hell Hawks (365th Fighter Group).  Uncle was shot down 3 times behind enemy lines...and got out every time - never captured.  In fact he remained lifelong friends with a French family that left out food for him after he was shot down over their farm - they still keep a piece of his airplane.  (His planes were Haulin Ass I, II, III) His plane was used in so many documentaries during the war; especially by Martha Gellhorn, third wife of Ernest Hemingway and a well-known war correspondent.)  They were a rare breed!  So sad we have war at all!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:05:59 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:23 am »
Was in a second hand store here in Shreveport, LA yesterday and much older gentleman had large collection of military items for sale.  Had a Nazi helmet, insides (leather) were still intact and in excellent condition, 3 indentions on helmet where bullets had hit.  He only wanted $175 for it...advised him he was low for today's market and he quickly raised price to $300.  Seems he doesn't really want to sell it or any of the military items...so he will overprice...but not enough that his wife realizes that he is just holding on to his increasing in size collection!  LOL

He had a ornate silverplate punch ladle for sale and when I asked what he wanted for it - $20! Sold!  Excellent shape, etc.  Can turn it for $75 easy.  (Now he can show his Mrs. that he is selling things and paying for his space in the store!) LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 10:25:57 am »
Hey Wullie, where is the best article to read about your Dad's Galician Group?  Saw this at Wikipedia...but bet there is better informaton out there.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_%281st_Ukrainian%29

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 03:05:16 pm »
Hi KC...there,s lots of different sites and books to read about.. the Galician....by far the best book is..To Battle...by Michael Melnyk....see link

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/To-Battle-The-Formation-and-History-of-the-14th-WaffenSS-Grenadier-Division-New-edition+Paperback+9781874622192...or ..i can send you a copy...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 01:07:12 am »
Thanks for the info.  Going to try and find the book...love history!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:00 am »
Thanks for the link!