Author Topic: My Cigarette Box  (Read 1591 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
My Cigarette Box
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:43:01 am »
Just thought I'd share something that's older than I am. My Dad was in the Navy during WWII, and was a machinist on board the light cruiser USS Vincennes when the war ended in the Pacific. They were throwing everything overboard that they would have no further use for, including repair sheets of stainless steel. My Dad , being the conservative type, hated to see anything go to waste, so used some of the steel to construct this cigarette box, along with other items.
He engine turned the exterior and interior surfaces, plus engraved the top with his own art.
I've always appreciated this as a rather unique version of "Trench Art". (With no kids or siblings, I need to find someone that's going to treasure this as much as I have.)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Re: My Cigarette Box
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:15 am »
That is awesome!
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
If you can get any paperwork that ties him with the ship, then include it with the box

It really is very ' well done '

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:47 pm »
  That is quite a nice piece of artwork your father did !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:38 am »
NICE!!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 10:45:31 am »
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!!!!

A museum? or great collector from that era?

Document as much as possible - pics of your dad in uniform - pics of ship, etc.  AND YOUR PIC for keeping the story going!!!!!

It just touches my heart knowing that pieces like this were made and are continued to be treasured!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:41 am »
If you do sell it and decide on a price, shoot me a message and let me know. I'm by no means a collector of WWII memorabilia, but something about this box, I really like. MY grandpa was a Merchant Marine during WWII and the other things he to remember it by, are about six photographs, stories of all the shenanigans he got into, and his being alive today thanks to poor job performance. He was supposed to be in the engine room where the torpedo struck. Instead he was int he galley getting a sandwich.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...