Author Topic: Why aren't people interested in estate furniture?  (Read 7936 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Re: Why aren't people interested in estate furniture?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:38 am »
I was asking $250 for the dining room set. That includes the Cushman round maple table with 2 leaves, pad, glass cover and tablecloth and 4 Hitchcock chairs. Here a photo of the table with the tablecloth, pad and glass cover removed:

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 04:23:30 am »
Given the fact that the chairs don't "look right" with the table .... it will deter a lot of potential buyers,..... except a dealer, ..... from buying them as a "package" for $250.

Me thinkks if you split the "package" and offer the chairs for $100 and the table for $150 ..... they will sell.

Or, if you "strip" the chairs to Golden Oak. ;D ;D ;D ;D

BTW, ... if it is an old one, I think the table itself is worth $250.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 06:12:09 am »
I don't think the table looks old at all. Maybe $50.00

Unless the chairs are from the 1820s (that's a joke BTW) then maybe $50.00 for them as well.

Maybe.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 06:15:11 am »
I think separating them would be better !!  Not everyone would want the package deal !!  Chairs here,, about $20. each !!  Table,, is newer and might bring $50. to $75. !!  Texas sale prices !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 06:16:41 am »
Yep!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 11:39:11 am »
Again, if old, like pre-1940, and refinished to original, .... a set of 4-matched chairs like that should be worth $100 to $125.

As singles or twos, ... $15 to $20 each.

Like I told once before, I watched  a matched set of 4 sell, the auctioneer said take 1 or take all.

1st one sold for like $30, ...... and bidder took 1,  leaving the other 3, which no one wanted 1 at that price. Auctioneer started bid again on other 3.

Same bidder got all 3 for like $5 each cause no one bid against him.   ;D ;D ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 06:25:17 pm »
I think you guys are lucky in one respect...your prices for run of the mill items..such as this table and 4 chairs...appear to be holding a reasonable price....over here..you can pick them up for less than $25..for the set...this set here...went last week at Taylors Auction House in Montrose...for £10 + 20% commission.....ok.. its a repo..but..for a measly £10...its a cheap as chips way..to have something to eat your dinner off...and have a comfy carver to sit on...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:28:52 pm by bigwull »
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 07:03:57 pm »
I get depressed every time you show pics like that !!  Even if repro,, its a nice one !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:19 pm »
Its nuts over here at the moment...had Avril and I a dining room big enough..we would have bought this set...but...our house only has a dinette....which is just big enough for a small table/chairs...but i did contemplate...for a second or two....buying it for firewood..."yes" firewood...but as it would have meant a two trip pick up..and what with the high cost of fuel...i decided against it....but there are guys there that are buying enough "wood"..to fill a big van...and its all getting chopped up for kindling....its just a damn pity..that the cost of a container is so high....or else it would be on its way to you.... :D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:02 am »
I think someone is missing the boat ....... and I don't mean a "container" hauling boat.

Bigwull, you need a big storage building and a big pocketfull of "expendable" cash.

And that's cause you know very well that those auction prices for "secondhand" furniture are going to take a "BIG" jump .... later than sooner.

Especially if the "world economy" keeps heading toward the bottom of the "septic tank".

Each new generation "out-of-the-nest" ...... into a "nest" of their own, needs furniture, ya know.

And everytime a couple "splits up the seed corn" ... one of them usually has need for one or more pieces of furniture.

Most all furniture buyers, except dealers, buy their furniture because of a "spur-of-the-moment-need" ...... and if you got it when they need it they will buy it.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 10:02:32 am »
I find places like "Freeman's Gallery" of Phila. has gotten very high end. They won't except hardly anything if it doesn't fit their criteria. The smaller places you might at least have a chance with the furniture, but if it's not really nice piece they'll give next to nothing for for it.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 10:30:00 am »
It really galls me when I see shows like "American Pickers" and guys are paying fantastic prices for rusty old junk I wouldn't take if the owners paid me to and yet I can't sell fine housewares.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:52:16 am by debodun »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 06:42:44 pm »
Its getting that way everywhere !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 06:37:31 am »
Debodun, now don’t be getting frustrated about “market fluctuations” ….. and especially those “un-reality” TV programs.

First of all, between Thanksgiving and Easter is the worst time of year to try to sell used furniture or “collectables” of any kind for that matter, except for the “high dollar” ones. And this year (2012/13) especially, given the current economy with its ever increasing costs of consumer goods and the high unemployment.

Used furniture sells best after Easter because couples are paring up and getting married and/or people start moving to different apartments and houses. And used furniture sales pick back up again in August because people move just before school starts and college bound students need furniture for their dorms and apartments.

Collectibles start selling good from February on because people want to build up their “stock” for the upcoming Spring/Summer Garage Sales, Auctions and Flea Markets because that is when the public gets in a “buying mood”. 

Now bear in mind, those “un-reality” TV programs are produced to “make money”, not to provide a “free service” to/for the viewing public. Just like the publishing of Antiques, Collectibles and Flea Market Price Guides. The public wants to know how much their “goodies” are worth so that they can brag about it and/or what other people are paying for said “goodies” …. thus said producers and publishers most always state the “highest” prices possible for their featured “items” ….. otherwise the public is not going to “buy” their TV shows or their Price Guides. 

And ps, I don’t know if they are still doing it or not but if you want to see who is/was “buying that rusty old junk” then go to a Cracker Barrel Restaurant and look at their decorations.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 08:15:22 am »
Its a decorating trend that may be here a while,,,or gone tomorrow !!  Don`t forget tax time is hitting people too !!