Author Topic: Question about a George Jones & Sons Biscuit Jar.  (Read 1279 times)

Will1411

• View Profile
Question about a George Jones & Sons Biscuit Jar.
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:41:55 pm »
I thought I should make a separate post for this.

I have a Biscuit Jar that has a 'George Jones & Sons' trademark on the bottom. The "& Sons" part is inside the bottom part of the crescent itself, right below the letters "GJ". The word "England" is at the top of the trademark and is curved and the word "Crescent" is at the bottom and is also curved. The word "Ware" just below it, not curved.

I couldn't find anything at the library though I did find some pictures of George Jones & Sons trademarks from the 1890's to the 1920's that appeared mostly identical to the one on the jar. The one difference was the word "Ware" on my biscuit jar.
Would this indicate a reproduction? Are there other indicators? I did learn that in 1925 the words 'Made in" were required in front of the country of origin.
I bought it with the idea it was a reproduction though I'm really not sure.
Thanks for any help.

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Question about a George Jones & Sons Biscuit Jar.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:37 pm »
Reproductions would be highly unlikely as these wouldn't be high value antiques.  George Jones & Minton cheese dishes were redone a few years ago because the originals were selling for a few thousand dollars.  Photos of both pieces would be helpful, trying to describe to us what the marks look like is difficult for us to interpret.  GG

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question about a George Jones & Sons Biscuit Jar.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »
Yes !!  We need pics in order to help !! One of the item and one of the mark !!