Author Topic: Russian Pins  (Read 2318 times)

kesgill

• View Profile
Russian Pins
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:08:23 pm »
Hi All,

I bought these in St. Petersberg about 8 years ago.  I figured they weren't worth much, but I was wondering if anyone had information on them.  I'm especially interested in the one depicting the US - Soviet Olympic boxing match and the sheild with the sword through the star.

I'll have to post them in multiple posts because I couldn't get good pics of them together.

Thanks,
Evan
"The spirit of the Knowledge Society is the spirit of Pluralism—a readiness to accept the Other, indeed to learn from him, to see difference as an opportunity rather than a threat."
- His Highness the Aga Khan IV (2006, Karachi, PK)

kesgill

• View Profile
Re: Russian Pins
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:10:34 pm »
More pin pics (try saying that 10x fast)  :)
"The spirit of the Knowledge Society is the spirit of Pluralism—a readiness to accept the Other, indeed to learn from him, to see difference as an opportunity rather than a threat."

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:13 pm »
Last pics

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:06:03 pm »
Top one is the symbol for the KGB or Committee for State Security if translated properly. Looks very modern though judging back the back / screw

The others look commemorative. The red enamel Lenin badge with his initials and surname on says 10K on the reverse but doesn't look gold.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »
More pin pics (try saying that 10x fast)  :)

LOL !!  Not me,,!!  Very interesting pins though !!  Olympic stuff has been doing pretty well !!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:43:47 pm »
Thanks Ipcress and Mart. 

I don't think the backing on the KGB pin is original.  It is a different weight, different metal, and does seem much more modern.

For the others, I do think they are commemorative, except for the hanging circle one, which I was told was for a certain number of years of service in the KGB.

The rest are relatively light, so I didn't think they would be worth much.  The exception is the rectangle picture of Dostoevsky, which is heavy, and I thought the commemorative piece on the Olympic boxing match might be worth something to a collector.  Mart, how did you find out about the value of the Olympic piece?

Thanks, again!

kesgill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:21 am »
Just a last post to see if anyone has any more ideas on value.  If I were to put them on ebay, should I put them as a set or individually?  If as a set, any suggestions as to how much to ask?  Thanks!

Ipcress

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 10:37:23 pm »
I'd have two lots - the KGB badge and the rest. Place them in the right category with keywords in the listing and the market will find their value

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:42:11 am »
Sorry Kesgill,, didn`t see that question !!  I just did a few searches and noted that movement and selling has been picking up !!  Thats no guarrantee though !! It can change in a weeks time !!