Author Topic: Question about Prescut glassware.  (Read 2328 times)

Will1411

• View Profile
Question about Prescut glassware.
« on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
I saw a piece of glassware at a thrift store that had the name "Prescut" in the very center of the dish, the "PRES" was above the word "CUT". The piece closely resembled a Prescut  olive dish I found on the Internet.

My question concerns the tint of the piece. The glass itself was not 'clear' glass, like many ordinary drinking glasses. It had a slight brownish gold tint to it; it was a little more noticeable when I held it up against a white background.
Is this a tint that some glassware was made with? I don't think I've ever seen glassware in this particular tint before. I did learn it isn't true cut glass but a combo.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Question about Prescut glassware.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 01:02:28 pm »
In 1945, Kemple Glass Works purchased many of the former McKee molds and made reproductions in clear, milk glass, and colors until 1970. If you have a “Tec” piece in color or milk glass, it is likely a Kemple piece. Kemple produced glassware in the following patterns: Aztec, Bontec, Carltec, Martec, Plutec, Plytec, Quintec, Rotec, Sextec, Toltec, Valtec, Wiltec, and Yutec.

After the closing of the Kemple factory in 1970, Wheaton purchased a number of Kemple molds and at least one mold in every "Tec" pattern except Quintec and Valtec until 1979. The Aztec punch bowl and cups were heavily reproduced and are among the most common “Tec” items found.

References:

Prescut was originally made by McKee Glass Co. !!  The above should answer your question !!  The "Tec" refers to pattern names !!

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 07:53:01 pm »
I don't know if this answers your question, but amber glass was definitely a trend - it's glass that is clear but has a brown/gold tint to it.  Amber glass was made by many different companies - Hazel Atlas, Anchor Hocking, Indiana, etc.  So yes, amber glass was a popular color.  I don't know when amber glass first came on the scene, but you can find many gorgeous pieces from the in the 50's, 60's and 70's.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:24:51 am »
I don't know if this answers your question, but amber glass was definitely a trend - it's glass that is clear but has a brown/gold tint to it.  Amber glass was made by many different companies - Hazel Atlas, Anchor Hocking, Indiana, etc.  So yes, amber glass was a popular color.  I don't know when amber glass first came on the scene, but you can find many gorgeous pieces from the in the 50's, 60's and 70's.
??...Mart did,nt ask any questions...she gave you answers...?....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:10:23 am »
There'a site on facebook and the web called "American Cut Glass" you can always try.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 10:31:34 am »
http://www.glassloversglassdatabase.com/
This might be helpful !!  On the pattern listings it gives pattern name and maker and you can go through and click on each one !!  Or look by mfr !!

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »
bigwull - I was replying to OP Will1411 who was asking about the brown tint on the glassware they found.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 07:57:24 pm »
I knew that,, but I think Bigwull had a few things on his mind when he posted that !!

ejhmmm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 07:59:16 pm »
Ha!  No worries   ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:16 am »
I knew that,, but I think Bigwull had a few things on his mind when he posted that !!
Thank you Mart....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:09 am »
 ;)