Author Topic: Vase identification  (Read 2268 times)

gg27

• View Profile
Vase identification
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:04:24 pm »
Any thoughts as to maker??  I have owned this vase for quite a few years, the mark looks like you should be able to read it but you can't.  I've tried rubbings, loupes, better eyes than mine....  several antiques dealer friends have looked at it, say it looks familiar but none of us can place it. 
Bought in Victoria, BC, Canada about 10 years ago from a dealer friend who got it from one of his very good clients who apparently bought in the 60's in an antiques shop on Granville St (we can't ask him, he passed away)
Looks english to me, but I'm open to any ideas.   :-\    GG

mart

• View Profile
Re: Vase identification
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:37:46 am »
Looks more American Southwest to me !!  Colors,,turquois and coral, style, ,,at least thats what it makes me think !!  Can`t see the mark well enough to tell what it is other than oval !!  Try taking a close up !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:01 am »
I don't know that they had sailing ships in the US southwest.   ;D  The mark on the bottom is very indistinct, a closer photo isn't going to give us any more detail.  The mark is an oval but unfortunately that's as good as it gets.    I'm hoping that someone recognizes the form.  The motifs are reminiscent of De Morgan but I've only ever seen highly glazed pieces never the matte finish & the colours are wrong.  GG

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:14 pm »
Where is a sailing ship ??  Pic is small even enlarged and with my cheaters !!

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:31:11 pm »
First picture in the top part of the vase.  I knew you were on dial up so I wanted to downsize the pic.  I will try to upload a larger one of the first picture.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:20:02 pm »
First picture in the top part of the vase.  I knew you were on dial up so I wanted to downsize the pic.  I will try to upload a larger one of the first picture.
Don,t mention dial up...that,s a nippy sweetie...for Mart...bad enough me forever harping on about it..without you sticking yer oar in... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gg27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 05:10:44 pm »
Don,t mention dial up...that,s a nippy sweetie...for Mart...bad enough me forever harping on about it..without you sticking yer oar in... ;D
The difference is that I was trying to be nice.....  ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »
I,m always nice....although others may see it differently....but Mart and I have an understanding....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,