Author Topic: Requesting assistance in valuing baby furniture antiques, old books  (Read 2417 times)

Cruiser13

• View Profile
I have a baby oak high chair from the 1880's. It has an idealized " M" in the chair. I paid $250.00 for it in 1979. I also bought an oak crib ( smaller than customary) with wooden slates for $650.00.
I am attempting to derive market value for these items.
I also have a collection of antique books, mostly classics ( Homer, Canterbury Tales) from 1894 , 1905, 1917. Included in  this collection are Steinbeck, Hemingway.
I also have several books from the 1970's- all best sellers ( Valley of thee Dolls, Steven King ).
I would greatly appreciate any help!!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Requesting assistance in valuing baby furniture antiques, old books
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:25 am »
We'll need photos!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »
I have a baby oak high chair from the 1880's. It has an idealized " M" in the chair. I paid $250.00 for it in 1979. I also bought an oak crib ( smaller than customary) with wooden slates for $650.00.
I also have a collection of antique books, mostly classics ( Homer, Canterbury Tales) from 1894 , 1905, 1917. Included in  this collection are Steinbeck, Hemingway.
I also have several books from the 1970's- all best sellers ( Valley of thee Dolls, Steven King ).

I've sold a full set of Ian Fleming first edition Bond's before, and helped catalogue a £700,000 collection of books and comics. They're my bread and butter.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »

I've sold a full set of Ian Fleming first edition Bond's before, and helped catalogue a £700,000 collection of books and comics. They're my bread and butter.

Naturally,  book value is dependent on condition and edition. Another valuable source for pricing - besides Ipcress of course - would be ABE booksearch.

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:45:41 pm »

Naturally,  book value is dependent on condition and edition. Another valuable source for pricing - besides Ipcress of course - would be ABE booksearch.

Books on ABE can be massively overpriced. £10 books for £200.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:54:48 pm »

Or....they can be fairly priced.....OR...... .they can be underpriced. They're a guide like anything - or anyone - else. There's no substitute for educating oneself to the best extent possible.

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »

Or....they can be fairly priced.....OR...... .they can be underpriced. They're a guide like anything - or anyone - else. There's no substitute for educating oneself to the best extent possible.

You'll struggle to find an undervalued book on there.

The same book

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8149326814&searchurl=kn%3Denid%2Bblyton%2Bdean%26sortby%3D1%26x%3D0%26y%3D0 £94.60

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-THE-ADVENTURES-OF-PIP-HB-1968-LOVELY-CONDITION-/380584224166?pt=Children_s_Young_Adult_s_Fiction&hash=item589c9665a6 £4.

It's usually the American sellers placing massive mark ups on their stock. And how do you compare condition when very few have images ?
Using an auction house website like Bloomsbury or even Ebay is better than using ABE

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:02 pm »

Totally agree Ipcress!  However, they are a great way to insure valuable books.  They are not what you will expect if you are to sell at a garage sale, estate sale, Etsy, Ebay or Craigslist.  But it does give you an idea if it is of real monetary value!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »

You'll struggle to find an undervalued book on there.

The same book

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=8149326814&searchurl=kn%3Denid%2Bblyton%2Bdean%26sortby%3D1%26x%3D0%26y%3D0 £94.60

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-THE-ADVENTURES-OF-PIP-HB-1968-LOVELY-CONDITION-/380584224166?pt=Children_s_Young_Adult_s_Fiction&hash=item589c9665a6 £4.

It's usually the American sellers placing massive mark ups on their stock. And how do you compare condition when very few have images ?
Using an auction house website like Bloomsbury or even Ebay is better than using ABE

Easy to compare condition. All it takes is a common vocabulary and some experience. Photos are OK if you really need them.

My collection is filled with underpriced books from ABE.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:36 pm »
Like anything else,, got to shop around and know what you are doing !! I will say this,, ebay is a pretty good guideline to see if anyone is actually buying and what they are paying !!  A value is only good if someone is willing to pay it !!  That doesn`t always happen !!

Cruiser13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »
Thank you for all of your input. I will start with the ABE and Ipcress sites. I do live in a large city where I have access to rare book stores, however, they seems to have the advantage in knowledge!!
I would like to have a baseline for market value.