Author Topic: Seeking value and information  (Read 7952 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Seeking value and information
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 11:38:39 am »
In could not see the wiring in the pic !!  Yes I know that three wires are used for ceiling fans ect !!  Did not know that code had changed but should have expected it since nothing is simply off and on anymore !!  Thats why I drive my old model Jeep instead of these darn Lincolns sitting in the driveway !! Too many bells and whistles to suit me !!
Anyway the values I gave were from other Antique sites that deal with lighting and lamps specifically !!  If the person can get more than what is current value by all means do it !!  I just know what they would sell for here in my area and $50. would likely be tops !! If that !!
Was looking more and another site said that L&L only made the metal parts for other companies !!   Since WMC is is stamped on it that is very likely !! Glass part could have been made by any lighting company but bought metal parts from L&L !!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:13:54 pm by mart »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 12:28:25 pm »
In could not see the wiring in the pic !!  Yes I know that three wires are used for ceiling fans ect !!  Did not know that code had changed but should have expected it since nothing is simply off and on anymore !!  Thats why I drive my old model Jeep instead of these darn Lincolns sitting in the driveway !! Too many bells and whistles to suit me !!
Anyway the values I gave were from other Antique sites that deal with lighting and lamps specifically !!  If the person can get more than what is current value by all means do it !!  I just know what they would sell for here in my area and $50. would likely be tops !! If that !!
Was looking more and another site said that L&L only made the metal parts for other companies !!   Since WMC is is stamped on it that is very likely !! Glass part could have been made by any lighting company but bought metal parts from L&L !!
..Too many bells and whistles.....ha,....sounds more like Old Dog ..new tricks syndrome.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
It does look like there is a copper ground wire in there. I still say the the chain and canopy were married to a newer shade. I would like to see the socket. Is their a UL sticker on the canopy.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:51 pm »
Nailed it Mart (even with her SLOW INTERNET Wullie!)   :)  :)   
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »
Nailed it Mart (even with her SLOW INTERNET Wullie!)   :)  :)   
I Bow to my Elders.....Well done Mart.....LOL!

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2013, 09:39:59 pm »
 if the company only made the metal parts then why can I only find information pertaining to lighting (IE lamps, chandeliers, wall scones etc.) on every site I visited researching them. Not trying to sound like a smarty-pants I honestly don't understand.

Tatummoma

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »
It does look like there is a copper ground wire in there. I still say the the chain and canopy were married to a newer shade. I would like to see the socket. Is their a UL sticker on the canopy.
nope no stickers

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 12:26:01 am »
Prices for these in the UK are marginally higher,than in the US,...average prices are £75 GBP...= $125...from what i can see here,its a case of..you think they are more valuable, than what we,ve found...Its a common thing on here,...we would all like to think that what we have is the genuine article, thats worth oodles of $$, but 9 times out of 10..it is,nt...and that,s it in a nutshell,...we can only say what we have found...and sometimes people think....Ha,what do they know...well, we are only as good as the information that is out there..and with these lamps..its telling us...low $50 high $125...if you can find a buyer...ebay is choc full of these...and some are more elaborate than yours...but they are not selling....Why!!...cause China has made far too many of them....

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:48 am »
if the company only made the metal parts then why can I only find information pertaining to lighting (IE lamps, chandeliers, wall scones etc.) on every site I visited researching them. Not trying to sound like a smarty-pants I honestly don't understand.

Tatu, if I correctly understand your question .......

Probably 90+% of the items that you purchase are produced or manufactured with parts, pieces, etc. that were purchased from a "vendor" or supplier that specializes in supplying said item(s) to other manufacturers of retail products.

Vendors will oftentimes put their logo, initials, name, etc., on an item if it does not affect the appearance of the finished product. Eg: the metal lamp parts.

And usually, those metal lamp parts, and the lightbulb socket itself, will be the only 2 parts of the lamp that will be "marked" and said "marks" only have significance during the assembly of the lamp itself and/or if the customer needs to order a new or replacement part.

Anyway, the producer/supplier of the lamp will never mention said vendor "marks", but the person who is researching, looking for, selling, etc., said lamp will usually make mention of said "marks" and thus the reason for your "search" results.

Tatu, iffen you want to find out about the company that made those metal parts, that is if it is still in business, then here is "the place to go", to wit:

The Thomas Register

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Register

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:42 am »
And lighting companies still do the same !!  If you go to buy a chandelier,, unless it is a high end piece,,the glass part is not marked,, but the metal parts are stamped when made with usually company and reorder number !!  If you will notice all that you find are marked on the metal base ect and thats why your searches are finding them !!  Many assume that is the maker but if that were the case the company would be something to that effect instead of WMC,, white metal casting !!  White metal is an inexpensive alloy that has been used for many years to make reproductions of everything from fake bronzes to lighting parts like yours !!