Author Topic: Age of this brass Naval Map/document tube?  (Read 4060 times)

capn

• View Profile
Age of this brass Naval Map/document tube?
« on: March 12, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
Hey guys.
New here.
I collect all kinds of things, but I came across something that has stumped me.

I have a question..
I just bought this brass "map/document" case.
All brass, decent weight,
32.75 " tall and 3.25 diameter.
No stamps/makers marks, etc.

I was told it is a lot older than I think it is.
Could anyone tell me any approximate date?
It appears to be hand soldered but I know that can be done even today...is there a possibility that this it is a much older soldering?

It is brass and definitely appears to have been "waterproofed" with all the seals...which is why I'm guessing Naval/maritime.

I would love any help on this.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:31:53 pm by capn »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Age of this brass Naval Map/document tube?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:13:03 am »
Can you resize your pics and make them smaller !! They are not showing up !!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:41:39 am »
Can you resize your pics and make them smaller !! They are not showing up !!

Hmm..they're showing up here.
I'll try to resize them

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 10:44:25 am »
resized...did that work?
Not sure why I'd have to resize them...they were directly uploaded from tinypic...which I've used hundreds of times in other forums

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:23:05 pm »
resized...did that work?
Not sure why I'd have to resize them...they were directly uploaded from tinypic...which I've used hundreds of times in other forums
PC,s ...run a little slow where Mart comes from....and anything bigger than a postage stamp take forever to open up....by which time...we,ve all gone to bed.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:27:06 pm »
resized...did that work?
PC,s ...run a little slow where Mart comes from....and anything bigger than a postage stamp take forever to open up....by which time...we,ve all gone to bed.... ;D

haha.
Is everything currently showing up?
I don't know if I screwed up the proportion when I resized them
in case it didnt I physically attached some
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:32:42 pm by capn »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:27 pm »
Bigwull just gives me a hard time because of our slow dial up !!  Those are perfect size for this site !!  Offhand I see nothing other than a sloppy soldering job !! Metal looks like machine done !! Not much way you could date it !! Did the person you bought it from tell you this ??  If so,, he likely was just trying to make a sale !! As for waterproofing,, thats why they were used,, to protect whatever was inside !!!  At least thas how I see it !!  Its a nice document/map holder though !!!

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:44:14 pm »
Bigwull just gives me a hard time because of our slow dial up !!  Those are perfect size for this site !!  Offhand I see nothing other than a sloppy soldering job !! Metal looks like machine done !! Not much way you could date it !! Did the person you bought it from tell you this ??  If so,, he likely was just trying to make a sale !! As for waterproofing,, thats why they were used,, to protect whatever was inside !!!  At least thas how I see it !!  Its a nice document/map holder though !!!

The person I bought it from said that he dated it based by the "construction". Said it was probably mid 1800s.
Is there any way to date something like this based on the patina of the inside...constructi on...size...or any other aspect?
Thanks so much!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »
That soldering looks like its been done by someone who maybe had a guide dog & a white stick..."no disrespect "..intended to these people...as for being made in the 1800,s,....the Chinese can do anything and make it look as if it was made BC....or as in the case of this tube...yesterday... . ;D

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:21:08 pm »
That soldering looks like its been done by someone who maybe had a guide dog & a white stick..."no disrespect "..intended to these people...as for being made in the 1800,s,....the Chinese can do anything and make it look as if it was made BC....or as in the case of this tube...yesterday... . ;D

So are you saying there's no possibility it's old?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 04:46:57 pm »
I don,t think it is from the 1800,s...but i,m not an expert,..normally items of this nature, have been made by men who took pride in their work,..this may have been an apprentice,s work,hence the reason for the bad soldering..also the "patina"....does,nt look 200 years old...if i had to put money on it,i,d have to say its a copy....and a poor one at that...my only hope is...you did,nt invest a lot of corn when buying it....

capn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 05:02:27 pm »
I don,t think it is from the 1800,s...but i,m not an expert,..normally items of this nature, have been made by men who took pride in their work,..this may have been an apprentice,s work,hence the reason for the bad soldering..also the "patina"....does,nt look 200 years old...if i had to put money on it,i,d have to say its a copy....and a poor one at that...my only hope is...you did,nt invest a lot of corn when buying it....

I got it in a trade from a friend...might just trade it back

This seems like an odd thing for someone to "fake" but that's just me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 06:10:20 pm »
You would be surprised at what is and has been faked !!  I would not think this was a fake necessarily  !! But in my opinion it is not 1800`s although there is no way to definitely say it is not !! There is really little way to tell age from patina on brass !!  Many things can affect the way it will age !! But by all means,, get other members opinion !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
Copy/fake, two different meanings...people will copy anything if they think they can make money out of whatever it is...with something like this, if it was made in the 1800,s..I would expect a makers mark...or something..even if it was an apprentice piece i,d still be expecting a mark of some description...but irrespective of all what you have read on here...it all boils down to...if you like it..keep it...

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 06:46:57 pm »
I think it looks like it was made with a punch press.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."