Author Topic: Antique Wine Jug  (Read 5036 times)

kilkenny

• View Profile
Re: Antique Wine Jug
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 07:33:35 am »
Thanks for the info. After appraisal, where would be a good place to go for auction? EBay doesn't seem right to me.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 07:52:23 am »
Ebay is not the place for this...depending on whom you have chosen for the appraisal...they may suggest..where to sell it...if it has the value that has been mooted here..then you could put it to an auction house...where you are would help determine where to go...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:01 am »
You might want to try Ruby Lane,  it's more of a high end forum.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Ipcress

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 08:32:11 am »
Thanks for the info. After appraisal, where would be a good place to go for auction? EBay doesn't seem right to me.

Wants to be a large auction house with internet sales.

Personally, i'd contact some related people first. Also contact a few of his biographers to get some history and confirm the housekeepers name. If confirmed, then i'd sell it privately.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 09:41:07 am »
If sold privately,, you need connections !! Major auction house for evaluation would be my suggestion !! And try to find one familiar with this collection !!  They might act as agents for you for a fee of course !!

Ipcress

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
If sold privately,, you need connections !! Major auction house for evaluation would be my suggestion !! And try to find one familiar with this collection !!  They might act as agents for you for a fee of course !!

The auction house would charge commission. Very, very few would act as an agent between vendor and only one buyer.

A bit of research and some e-mails, contact the right people if confirmed, approach a few to see if they are interested.

A well known celebrity antiques expert in the UK spotted an item whilst filming a programme for the BBC. He had a buyer in mind so he paid the few hundred pounds. Not too long after he was paid five figures for it by a collector and didn't have to pay his 20% commission.

That's a best case scenario but it is possible to get more money privately.