Author Topic: Help with identifying figurines  (Read 1713 times)

vlapinta

• View Profile
Help with identifying figurines
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:53:03 pm »
I found these figurines and I was told they were my grandmother's. It's hard to read whats on the bottom. It looks like it says guk or gluck and then a series of numbers. Its very hard to read. Here are pictures. The second one is the back.Any help identifying these would really be appreciated.
Vicki

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Help with identifying figurines
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:59 am »
They look like 19thC fairings.  These are spill vases, kept on the mantle for "spills" for lighting candles & lamps from the fireplace.  Need a photo of the mark.  I used to sell these quite regularly but like a lot of antiques these days, there is very little market for even very nice ones like yours.  GG

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:24:16 am »
Definitely spill vases!!!!  Nice set.  Priceless because they are passed down from family.

Most people today don't know what they are!  They are collectible!  Looking more on yours!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

vlapinta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 11:02:53 am »
Thanks KC. If you find out anything more I would be interested. Curious what the value would be. I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :)

Vicki

Ipcress

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:18 am »
They don't look 19th to me, more later continental bisque type porcelain.

vlapinta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:15:30 am »
They were actually my great grandmother's, given to me by my grandmother, who has long passed, as was in her 80's. the 19th century time frame makes perfect sense to me.

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:53:24 am »
They were making these well into the 20th so they could still be your great grandmothers. They even produced them in Japan during the war.

Have you a picture of this mark you mention ?

vlapinta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:14:54 pm »
Its so hard to read the marks because it looks like it is carved into it. One is a number which looks like 10908. The other could be Grey or a G with lines sort of like a $ running through it and it looks like germany. i have tried looking with a magnifying glass but its so faded. The marks look like they are carved into it, rather than painted on.
I have been looking on line and the markings look exactly like piece this with a different number
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Bisque-Spill-Vase-hand-painted-German-porcelain-Gypsy-Tambourine-/181112802573?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item2a2b2a0d0d
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:35:36 pm by vlapinta »