Author Topic: Hi anyone recognise the name or mark on this item...any help appreciated  (Read 1483 times)

Euan26

• View Profile
Obviously it is a drinking stein the head tilts back on the pewter ring and the name looks like Musterschutz 65 (not certain about the 'M') double crossed lines as a makers mark. Assuming German or Austrian

Thanks to all for the quick and informative replies. For Bigwull the stein stands 20cm tall and would hold 0.5L.

I bought this at a sale for my now wife as she collects all things Porcine and paid $70 ish so nice to know I can spot a decent bargain. Cheers again keep up the good work
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 01:28:50 am by Euan26 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
This Stein is German,...most likely from Bayern...and this type of stein is synonymous with this German saying...“Nur ein schwein Drinkt Allein...what is the size of it,..and how much liquid does it hold
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
This is called a Character Stein...see link..then scroll down...

http://www.beerstein.net/articles/char-stns.htm

Ipcress

A Musterschutz pig stein - one recently made $375

ghopper1924

• View Profile
The pig is not drinking but singing. Or maybe both. Examine the base; there were some models made with music boxes contained therein.

This looks like the "Singing Pig" porcelain stein, made in both .3 L .5L and manufactured ca. 1900. It seems to have held it's value over the past 20 years at $300-$400.

The hash or crosshash mark was used by the Porzellanmanufaktur Plaue factory belonging to C.G. Schierholz & Sohn. MUSTERSCHUTZ conveys the same meaining as a copyright mark; it is not the manufacturer itself. As of the 1990s Schierholz & Sohn was still making steins.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
The pig is not drinking but singing. Or maybe both.

This looks like the "Singing Pig" porcelain stein, made in both .3 L .5L and manufactured ca. 1900. It seems to have held it's value over the past 20 years at $300-$400.

The hash or crosshash mark was used by the Porzellanmanufaktur Plaue factory belonging to C.G. Schierholz & Sohn. MUSTERSCHUTZ conveys the same meaining as a copyright mark; it is not the manufacturer itself. As of the 1990s Schierholz & Sohn was still making steins.
 !
Singing Pig...my arse...everyone knows they go Oink" Oink"..unless of course it was this Pig ;D

ghopper1924

• View Profile
No pork today....only mangoes will be accepted.

I was once in a band that covered a Bloodwyn Pig song....not the most common thing in the U.S. :) It left our listeners nonplussed... ;D ::)
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Wullie i beg to differ with you.  All pigs don't go oink oink.  When I was in Russia many years ago, they explained that the pig sound is Хрю-хрю which is pronounced
khryoo-khryoo.  For real!!!  I don't see how they get that...but maybe the pigs there drink the Russian Vodka!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
But I,m Not in Russia, I,m here...and here they Oink!!