Author Topic: Handmade can ( similar to spittoon but too small ) what is it ?  (Read 4144 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Handmade can ( similar to spittoon but too small ) what is it ?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »
Right Rauville !!  Forgot about that !!  But if from a railing the repairs would be the same on both sides and the neck would have to be attached !! Just don`t see that someone would go to that trouble !!  Another thing I would like to know is the weight and approx. thickness !!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:33:03 pm by mart »

cutnshoot84

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 10:41:54 pm »
The item weight approx. 1 pd or less.
The main body is approx. .040-.050 thick
The brass top sheeting is approx. .010-.020 thick

I don't know if you can really see it but the front and back ( looking at the widest view left to right ) has to pieces of the same kind of metal that the main body is made of that are joined to the main body. The front and back pieces have numerous tabs that overlap the main body and then were brazed to make an air tight seal. You can see how nice and pretty evenly the sections were joined to the main body. Someone take a lot of time and put a lot of effort into cutting , joining and sealing this thing together. I don't really know what the main  body is made of but the outer shell doesn't seem to rust , yet the inner shell has minor surface rust. You can see what I call the "patina" of the outside and how it is smooth and vet very smooth on the inside and outside. As I mentioned , the metal , which is magnetic, is very hard and solid. You would have to beat on it pretty hard to dent it , considering the thickness of the shell.
There was a lot of time put into just the top brass part. Very small rivets of brass were made and flattened to connect the brass , which turned  out very nice and very smooth.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 04:26:43 am »
There was a lot of time put into just the top brass part.

There was a lot, lot more time expended in cutting n' fitting those face plates of either side of it.

Which makes me think it is a "one-of-a-kind" ..... study in metal forming.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 01:46:25 pm »
Metalworking shop project ?? Cogar ?  Possible !!  Can think of no better reason they went to the trouble of making something so common looking !!