Author Topic: Bracelet brass or ?  (Read 2591 times)

gerspee

• View Profile
Bracelet brass or ?
« on: May 03, 2013, 11:39:13 am »
Just bought this and looks handmade and no marks off any tools or edges from pouring into a form are to be found . Smells like brass but there's no polishing material to be found on it not even in the decoration.  So why not any traces off being brass like patina on it and why no tool marks on it even with a very strong magnifying glass look t at  ?

So who knows the design and form and what age made en where ?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Bracelet brass or ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 11:55:28 am »
this has been made by hand...not smelted then poured..its been hand beaten..looks like an anklet decoration...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:40:01 pm »
Thanks and any idea about age and country off origin ? 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »
Brass will not usually, (depending on the composition) develop a patina or need polishing while being worn !!  Sweat, washing, and drying will keep it polished !!  Just normal everyday stuff !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 03:43:18 pm »
are you sure this is brass,..what size is it,..and where did you buy it...its the wrong colour for yellow brass, looks more like phosphorous bronze...and dare i say...antique gold.....if only.....

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »
It's about 8.6 cm width and I was also thinking off the gold factor because off the weight . It's 175 grams so heavy but I have tested it and I don't think its gold . But a bronze is a possibly . Bought it in a shop that's cleaning out houses after death and older people moving smaller for a great 2 euro's .  But if it is a bronze this could be having some age i think ?   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:26:06 pm »
No way for us to guess age really !!  We don`t even know what country it is in !!  Another possibility for the color is that the brass has impurities in it !!  Aluminum will make a lighter color and softer material !!  Best is to take it to someone there that can tell you what it is !!  All we can do is give a best guess from your pic !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 05:28:39 pm »
I have some Mid Century 1900's Brass items that have the same look and tone as your bracelet. I would say it's brass. The Bracelet looks early 1900's and Middle Eastern such as Turkey or Israel to me.

Kevin

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 06:24:58 pm »
well, i,ve decided...its one of these... ;D..its just that the stupid booger has it on the wrong way...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 07:45:03 pm »
Ooooh,,, Bet that hurt !!!! ;D

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 01:46:41 am »
Ooooh,,, Bet that hurt !!!! ;D
She probably thought she looked cool with it.....Mmm!!....I could tell her different..... ;D

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 02:18:11 am »
Morning from the Kingdom of the Netherlands . Also the buying place of the bracelet off course .  Trying to place on different body parts but this is hurting so I think it's more for the small arm of a woman .  But could this be African or North African maybe ? The design and worn decoration must be able to give some clue ?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 02:22:45 am »
I saw the celebrations in Dam Square.......Amster dam..is a nuthouse of a city...i have a friend who lives in Tilburg....As Nederland has a large Senegalese population..then perhaps, it may be African,

gerspee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 03:11:51 am »
Had also some more looking and first African would be possible with this design but also Roman because it's not a round shape but ellipse shaped . Could explain why there's some much wear on it and absolutely no tool marks to make it look old . The wear looks very real . And like the Scots a Dutchman like me likes a increase off value on his two euro's also very much .