Author Topic: Partner's Desk - Can you tell me anything about this desk?  (Read 2148 times)

Either

• View Profile
I have not been able to find another desk anything like this online, nor any style of furniture that is similar.  This was an executive's desk or secretary's desk in 1970.  I don't suspect its much older than that (im only guessing like art-deco-ish is a close as it feels).  I believe its mahogany or mostly mahogany.  It has the same drawers on both sides.  It is prob 3.5' x 5' or bigger (it usually holds A LOT of stacks of paper).  

I'm thinking about selling it - but I'm a little attached its been in my family since I was born.  And Its so unusual and functional (wont fit through a typical interior door though so maybe not practical).  Someone once suggest it was worth $10k but I think thats crazy.  

I would take any info you can provide like style, age, resale value, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

Either

• View Profile
Re: Partner's Desk - Can you tell me anything about this desk?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »
Here are two more pics...

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:07 pm »
I really like it. Is there a label anywhere on a drawer? Most desks are 30 inches high. It should fit through a standard door if turned on its side and hooking the feet in first. It is mahogany and probably very heavy. It looks like a mid century piece to me. If you can find a name on it anywhere it would help a great deal. It my have been custom made. Very nice lines.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:03 pm »
I agree Frogpatch,, custom piece !!  Wouldn`t plan on getting 10g`s for it unless there is a little gold hidden in those drawers !!   Could we see a pic of the back and a side view ??

Either

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:00:58 pm »
Here is a pic of the side that I guess didnt attach in an earlier message. 
It is 29" high.  63" x 35" on top.  I think its the 63" measurement that limits what room in the house it can go to because 

The other side is a mirror image of the side shown.  The only markings that I could find are a stamped "512" on a couple of the drawers and the number "42" in large handwriting in {like} grease pencil on the underneath of the drawers.   

Would you trade this for a desk and credenza from Ethan Allen or keep it because its unique? 

THanks for your opinions!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:14:37 pm »
I would not make that trade !! Ethan Allen is in no way comparable to this desk !!  Once Ethan Allen is off the showroom floor its just used furniture that many people have !!  This is a unique and quality made desk that will increase in value !! Don`t think EA will do the same !!  Keep it if possible,, its worth a few grand now !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:28:23 am »
The secondary wood looks like pine.

I agree with what's been said. It looks like an accomplished cabinet maker's hobby piece. I like the lyre supports; it makes it resemble an empire piece with a mid-century top. It's not impossible that the "42" would refer to the year it was made, although that's just a guess. The evident method of manufacture and styling would support that date.

Keep it if possible!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 08:37:44 am »
Looks like beautiful condition !!  I would sure keep it !!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:50:44 pm »
Just wanted to comment what a beautiful desk this is! Love the dark heavy wood, this piece was made to last for centuries!
Antiqueaholic in recovery