Author Topic: Garage sale find. Depression glass basket?  (Read 28542 times)

Peaceman

• View Profile
Garage sale find. Depression glass basket?
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:01:47 pm »
This weekend I picked up some old items at a garage sale... The guy brought out some items for me from inside his home that he wasn't going to put out.  I bought an old Cigar tin lined humador table from him, this bowl and a host of other things.  

He described the bowl as his mother's mother, 25th wedding anniversary gift.  He is 67.  He thought from the 20's... I paid $ 15 for it.  I can not find any marks on the bowl.  The bowl has 4 verticle lines (each lined up from the other side coming from the bottom, up to the rim.  The lines end where the bottom is supporting the bowl.  I've looked through 4 books on depression glass and can not find the pattern either.  I know so far that it is pressed glass thus not crystal.  Maybe "Miss America" pattern?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:47:36 pm by Peaceman »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Garage sale find. Depression glass basket?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:01:48 am »
This brides basket will not be in depression glass listings !!  Try pressed or pattern glass lists !! Look on the basket rather than the bowl for marks !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:10:46 pm »
How big is the bowl?  Could be a jelly server.

Peaceman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 07:25:47 pm »
I used a loupe to inspect every centimeter of the handle and rim.  I did not find a makers mark.  I believe the handle to be wroght iron.

Length: 8 3/4"
Height: 3 7/8"

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 07:28:11 pm »
We've had a lot of glass pieces, because for awhile my husband went through a glass collecting phase. We had a few pieces made like the glass part of that. However, I have never seen one close to how that one is, as far as the handle. It would be interesting to know if it has a mark on it and who the maker is.  I know you said it is not crystal, but it does look a little like the crystal pieces. I know Anchor Hocking made pieces that looked similar in style (the glass part). They've been around from the beginning of the 1900's.  I live in the city that Anchor is in and my Grandma (who is passed away), Aunt and Uncle all worked there.
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:29:03 pm »
I posted as you posted, ha ha. I just saw that you said there is no makers mark. :) Sorry about that.  Are you in the United States?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:30:37 pm by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

Peaceman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:24:06 pm »
I'm in the midwest. 

I thought if a glass piece is molded that it can't be crystal, correct? 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Is-it-Fostoria-American-pattern-glassware-or-not/10000000001566549/g.html

Is Fostoria American  what you are thinking of ??  This tells you how to identify their pattern !!  It will be a ground foot and three piece mold for Fostoria !! This looks like the ones that were similar !!  Never saw that band of smaller cubes on American !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 02:42:12 am »
Is Fostoria American  what you are thinking of ??

Or maybe Jeanette's "Cubist" pattern.

Below is a link to a pedistal bowl of the same pattern as Peaceman's bowl ..... but I don't have a cluse who made it ....... thus I just call it "Kroger" glass, ..... as in Kroger Food stores shopper's premiums.  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ioffer.com/i/vintage-diamond-pattern-clear-glass-pedestal-bowl-472746332

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 10:51:53 am »
Possibly !!  There were so many of those patterns that were similar even into the 60`s that I quit trying to guess who made them !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 02:25:48 pm »
I thought of Fostoria at first too. Then I changed to the Anchor idea. There are so many glass pieces out there. This type is harder to identify in my personal opinion.  (you should see my husband's glass collection, lol - mostly Erickson, some Fenton, Murano, a few Blenko and a few Fostoria and some depression glass - it is just crazy how many pieces he has).

Peaceman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 02:28:15 pm »
Thank you to those who have commented.  I will continue to search for more information.  If anyone has any additional ideas, feel free to comment. :)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
I thought of Fostoria at first too. Then I changed to the Anchor idea. There are so many glass pieces out there. This type is harder to identify in my personal opinion.  (you should see my husband's glass collection, lol - mostly Erickson, some Fenton, Murano, a few Blenko and a few Fostoria and some depression glass - it is just crazy how many pieces he has).

I agree about Anchor Hocking...the piece in question here reminds me of the Wexford line.

http://pages.hummingbirdhillantiques.com/8473/PictPage/3924052451.html

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:00 am »
Close enough for rock n' roll.

Actually, I find this basket to be quite attractive.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford