Author Topic: Wooden High Chair...How old?  (Read 1169 times)

cncurtis22

• View Profile
Wooden High Chair...How old?
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:47 pm »
Hi, everyone! I am back on this site with yet another question... if you read my last post you know that my husband and I purchased a new house a few months ago, we have found some pretty neat / creepy things that were left behind... Here is a high chair... I was wondering if anyone could tell us approximately how old the high chair is?
We have no use for it...our children are five and seven, I was planning on selling it - just not sure if I should ask $2 or $50...lol

& again....Thank you all in advance, any advice / information is greatly appreciated!

gg27

• View Profile
Re: Wooden High Chair...How old?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:27 am »
Not sure how old it is.  But I did want to advise FYI that in some places you cannot sell an antique high chair unless it has proper restraints.   Antiques dealers get around it by selling them as "doll or bear chairs"  GG

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 04:54:31 am »
gg27 is right, there are restrictions in some states. Where I live in the Jersey Shore/ NY Metro area the market for even elaborate examples from the turn of the 20th century is not good. They are just not practical. They do look good with a plant in them. Yours was made around 1950 -1960 I would guess. It is very sturdy and appears to be a mix of oak and other woods. It may have been made in Germany. If you can get 25.00 for it I would go for it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:46:03 am »
Have you looked at the bottom of the seat for a name ?? That's probably right timeline !!  We used a similar chair back then,, Do you have the tray ?? We used ours without the tray for older toddlers when time came for eating at the table !! Better than todays booster seats with supervision !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »
First impression, 1950's.

Totally agree with wise information others have given you about state laws.  So, look it up.  You can resale as a decorator item!

I know my parents have stories of me sliding out of mine and getting hurt...maybe that's what's wrong with me.  I can blame it on them for improper restraints on my high chair!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!