Author Topic: Does anyone recognize the man in these pictures?  (Read 2169 times)

pecmur

• View Profile
Does anyone recognize the man in these pictures?
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:37:49 pm »
Does anyone recognize the man in these pictures?
I have what I believe to be an original portrait of a middle aged male by an artist signed "M. Grosser" dated 1925.   Does anyone know who this gentleman is?  And if so do you know what the value of this piece of art work may be?  I think it was made with some kind of chalk or fine crayons.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:53:23 pm by pecmur »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone recognize the man in these pictures?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:48:32 pm »
That would be a pastel artist !!  I don`t recognize the person !! 

pecmur

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:21:07 pm »
That would be a pastel artist !!  I don`t recognize the person !! 

Thanks for the info.... Let me know if you have any guesses or ideas as to who this might be.

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:27:34 am »
Maurice Grosser ( 1903 -1986 ) was known for his landscapes. However, he did write a book on painting in which he spoke about portraits and it's likely that when he was younger, he will have experimented with different mediums and subjects. The signature on yours is very similar, in as much as i'd say it's the same !

Take a look at this, in particular the reverse of the canvas where Maurice has signed his name

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3121573

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:07:59 am »
wowo Ipcress--impressive-how could you tie that together might i ask--

Ipcress

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:28 am »
The quality looked good, particularly the hands, so i checked the surname on findartinfo.com and then on the auction results databases.
People might initally think the styles are too different to delve a little deeper but experience tells me artists can have a few styles before settling on something they feel more comfortable with, or enjoy.

Convinced it's the same person. Hope the picture here is an original ( looks it but viewing an image behind glass online is not ideal )

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:52:24 pm »
He did portraits but was lesser known for them !!  Did nice work though !!  Pastel is a difficult medium to work with successfully !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 04:41:07 pm »
Great sleuthing Ipcress!!!!  You followed the steadfast rule of not giving up easily and searching further!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »
If you take this to a frame shop and have the dust cover removed,,,its possible the name is written on the back !!  Many artists do this for family records !! So they remember the year it was done ect !!  Easy and not expensive to replace the dust cover,, might cost $10.00 if that !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 08:22:17 pm »
Interesting Ipcress!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

pecmur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:05:13 pm »
Maurice Grosser ( 1903 -1986 ) was known for his landscapes. However, he did write a book on painting in which he spoke about portraits and it's likely that when he was younger, he will have experimented with different mediums and subjects. The signature on yours is very similar, in as much as i'd say it's the same !

Take a look at this, in particular the reverse of the canvas where Maurice has signed his name

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/3121573

Yes that is his signature.  And it looks to be authentic.  I picked it up at an estate sale in Victoria, BC, Canada.

pecmur

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 12:07:33 pm »
The quality looked good, particularly the hands, so i checked the surname on findartinfo.com and then on the auction results databases.
People might initally think the styles are too different to delve a little deeper but experience tells me artists can have a few styles before settling on something they feel more comfortable with, or enjoy.

Convinced it's the same person. Hope the picture here is an original ( looks it but viewing an image behind glass online is not ideal )

I can get better pictures for you if I take the picture out of the frame.  Let me know if this would help and I would be happy to do that.  Thanks again Icpress.  Very impressive information.