Author Topic: Who knows Manning Bowman Teapots....  (Read 1123 times)

Peaceman

• View Profile
Who knows Manning Bowman Teapots....
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:55:48 pm »
A great find at $5.  Here is what I know so far:

- Pot is 7 1/4" high to the top of the cover and 9" from the handle to the spout at the furthest point.

- According to this website this pot was made between 1885-1902.
http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/trademark.htm

- According to this website it appears that this pot has the same decor however it has a wood handle.  The kicker is that, according to the website above, this pot was made after 1902.  To me, it wouldn't make sense to make a pot with a metal handle and then go to a wooden one?  Do you feel the above website's information is incorect or maybe the pot was retro-fitted?
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/11669020_manning-bowman-copper-and-pewter-teapot

- Regarding the mintmark, it is clear that there is a break in the line at the top of the wing  This line isn't faded on either side and it appears as tho it was made like that.

- Under a loope the word "Patented" is not on the bottom of the pot meaning, there are no signs of the word being worn off.

Any additional help would be great, I've spent about 2 hours trying to find info on it....

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:44:21 pm by Peaceman »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Who knows Manning Bowman Teapots....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:28:34 pm »
those links are.nt working..well,not opening on a click....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:11 pm »
Why do you think it unusual to go from metal to wood ?? That was not a part of the evolutionary process !! It was a matter of style and what people liked !!  I have had sauce pans with wooden handles that I much prefer to metal ones !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:09:19 pm »
I agree with Mart.  Also, the cost of making items goes up.  So they make items different for affordability to greater numbers and "fashion" changes.

They also made chaffing dishes, all sorts of service ware. AND it wasn't uncommon for holloware and service items to have wooden handles.  Thus they made pieces to coordinate with them to encourage sales!

They increased sales with electric items such as wafflemakers, percolators, popcorn makers, fans etc.  Some of you may remember a store they sold items in...Woolworths!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!