Author Topic: Rare Sign I Picked Up Today - You will like this one  (Read 1823 times)

Kevin_Bones

Rare Sign I Picked Up Today - You will like this one
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:52:14 pm »
Here is a sign I picked up today. I saw it at an antique store out in the country yesterday and I had to have it but I didn't have the money.. so I went today with a bit of money, I got it for $60.00 and also traded an old Coca Cola crate along with an Asbestos sad iron crate for it. It is just a cardboard sign.. But he had $150.00 on it, and had apparently marked it down from $250.00. I can't find any information on it anywhere. I like to collect Hickey and Nicholson stuff because it's island stuff, and a lot of it is hard to find. The antique dealer I bought it from said there's not to many of them, he also told me it is worth a couple hundred. Here is a pic of the sign. I don't think I'll ever sell this one.

Dimensions: 17 3/4 " x 11 "

Here is a nice Hickey & Nicholson box I picked up yesterday. Never saw these before either..

mart

• View Profile
Re: Rare Sign I Picked Up Today - You will like this one
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:04:32 pm »
Getting yourself a nice little collection aren`t you ??  Very nice sign !! You did good !!!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:20 am »
Tobacco advertising over here has died the death....so to speak.... ;D
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 05:54:46 am »
Thanks Mart! I thought he had it marked a little over priced but I couldn't leave it haha...

sugarcube5419

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:04:54 am »
kevin--its a really pretty sign-yellow is so vibrant--I tried to look it up and came up with nada, hope somebody else can help.  Did the previous owner have any knowledge or say where they purchased?

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:23:11 am »
I also tried looking it up, couldn't find a thing ! I had a few questions I wanted to ask about the sign, which I was going over in my head on the way to the antique shop so I wouldn't forget - but when I got there I forgot.. I was also focusing on getting that sign with the little bit of cash I had and the few things I brought for trade  ;D  I will be asking him next time if he knows where the sign was displayed, or if he knows approximately what time this ad came out. I estimate roughly 1920's to 40's (although some of the Bright Cut tins I see on the internet say they are 1910..)

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 07:25:52 am »
Nice vintage piece!
The clothing / uniform style of those guys staring at the sun might be a clue as to age??

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:58 pm »
Anyone have an idea as to an approximate value on this sign?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:45:18 pm »
http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/pam_archives/index.php?fuseaction=genitem.displayItem&lang=eng&rec_nbr=3825039

Is your sign enamel ??  This says the sign is from 1940 !! Someone is making repro`s of it but looks like theirs has a black border at the top and they are cardboard !!

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 07:50:44 pm »
No Mart, mine is actually cardboard. But I don't think mine is a repro. The paper looks pretty old.. I hope it's not a repro anyway..

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:16:43 pm »
Check that link I gave you !!

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 09:12:08 am »
How do I tell if mine is a repro or not? My sign looks pretty old.

Kevin_Bones

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:55:10 am »
It's also peeling a bit on the bottom right hand corner , it looks like a little bit of water got spilt on it at some time. Stain looks pretty old.