Author Topic: Need Help Identifying This Bronze Piece  (Read 3080 times)

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
Need Help Identifying This Bronze Piece
« on: July 10, 2013, 01:35:43 pm »
Curious about this piece. I think it is made of bronze or some kind of metal(looks bronze to me) On the wagon is,what I believe, to be a piece of ivory. I've been taking so many little items to a local antique store for them to appraise,I 'd like to see if I can identify this one without taking it in. They've been so good and have not charged me anything for their time. The piece is rather heavy. I see no signature,symbols, or hallmarks anywhere on it.Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before. Thanks in advance!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Identifying This Bronze Piece
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »
from where i,m sitting...i,d say that the piece of ivory....has no right to be there....as it is out of proportion to the piece...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »
We had a similar item several months ago !!

Ipcress

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:21:00 pm »
It'll be cold painted bronze.

Sure there's no mark ? Might look like an upturned vase. Likely to be on the back of the merchant or somewhere on the cart.

Have found a record of one selling at auction with other pieces like it but no maker was catalogued. Chance this is just one of the Austrian makers in the late 19th, early 20th century.

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »
That someone who posted a few months ago may have been me. I could not remember if I had posted this before(if I did I apologize) Could it be Vienna Bronze? I looked pretty good earlier with a magnifying glass but I have a friend coming over tomorrow. I'll see what a second pair of eyes can come up with. Thanks so much for the replies everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:47 am »
Never hurts to check back.  Someone may come up with more!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:17:22 am »
By the way, this was the auction listing ( just scroll down a bit )

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10741861_four-austrian-cold-painted-bronze-figures-boys

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 01:53:18 pm »
Nice catch Ipcress!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 07:35:17 pm »
Thanks Ipcress! That looks like what I got. Sad to say, I can't list it on ebay due to there being ivory included. Other than Ruby Lane, anyone have any ideas where I can list it? Not sure exactly what its worth but thanks to that listing I can get some idea. Thanks again!

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 08:07:30 pm »
Are you sure the piece you have is ivory and not ox bone or similar ?

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Actually, I am not. I suppose it could be one of those . 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 06:39:47 am »
You can sell this on Ebay....providing you put Faux...before the Ivory....that way you are not..breaking any law..and if you then give the approx date that this item was made....you let the seller make up his/her own mind.....

Marc-Barr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:52:35 am »
Only reason I say it's ivory is the link provided above which shows the 4 Austrian Cold Painted figures mention ivory in those pieces, and the one of the boy with cart is identical. Like I said, I could be mistaken but thanks for the advice.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »
if you look on ebay....you,ll find that 99% of ivory listed items have faux in the title...even although most of what is being sold..dates before 1947...which is the date that prohibits the sale of certain types of ivory..unless its certificated....hen ce the reason for saying its faux....that way you are not breaking any law...the prospective buyers will know if it is ivory or not.....it certainly looks like ivory....or it could be as has been mooted, ox bone, but it could also be walrus tusk...which has a later sell by date.... if it is your intention to sell it...you could try ebay....with either a fixed reserve....or if its not getting what you want for it..you can say it is also listed elswhere and you reserve the right to end the auction early....