Author Topic: Can someone give me a ballpark value on this armiore and age?  (Read 3862 times)

Rob1

• View Profile
Re: Can someone give me a ballpark value on this armiore and age?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2013, 08:02:08 pm »
Oh, I get ya. Its the right doors "latch" that comes in contact with the left door to securely keep the doors closed

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »
Well,, your piece is not a factory made one,, nor is it made by a cabinetmaker !! It is a homemade one and if you want to put a name to it its a primitive country pine amoire !! I am not entirely sure that the moulding at the top didn`t come from another piece and it was simply reused !! The pulls on the front are Spanish or Mediterranean revival again reused from something else and the rest of the hardware was as well I am 98% sure because the hardware and the screws are different !! Yet they don`t match the amoire itself which has the scrolled front and lattice work of a country piece !!  Chances are good that this was made after 1950 or 60 !!  As for value,, primitive furniture is quite popular with some and in CA I would say $200. to $250. !!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:46:28 pm by mart »

Rob1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2013, 09:10:35 pm »
That was my first guess aswell. What threw me off was the locking mechanism. It looks like it is a homemade project of someone in the furniture making business. It came from a elder lady who had to think about it for a couple days before giving up. Didnt get alot of info out of her.

Thanks alot for the help!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 09:16:31 pm »
It looks like the legs were added later or it sits on a platform.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

Rob1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 09:20:39 pm »
Yeah, The legs definitely look to be added on at some point. Thats one thing im not that fond of on it.

edit: actually its not, Its an extension of the beams on all 4 corners
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:29:18 pm by Rob1 »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2013, 02:15:31 am »
this looks  modernish...its of an exotic wood construction...most likely from Indonesia...or there abouts...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2013, 02:48:12 am »
Mart, that looks to me like the backplate of a key-lock mechanism.

Rob1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 03:07:08 am »
this looks  modernish...its of an exotic wood construction...most likely from Indonesia...or there abouts...

It does have a modern look to it from a distance until you get up close and look at the detail and it confuses me. Some of the wood has a "chopped" look like it was cut with an axe or something of that nature. Its hard getting the detail to appear in pictures. The back and bottom pieces of wood arent held in place by anything but a groove on top and bottom. The inside looks very aged and old. I just have never seen anything like it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2013, 07:57:02 am »
Mart, that looks to me like the backplate of a key-lock mechanism.

Quite possible Cogar !! Did notice two places on the doors that kind of look like a lock may have been there but couldn`t see well enough to tell !!
Actually I love this kind of furniture It was made more out of necessity rather than following a style design !! Its unique and always one of a kind which I prefer !!  How much did you pay for it, if I may ask ??