Author Topic: HELP!!.... Chest of drawers/ desk  (Read 1775 times)

noggin

• View Profile
HELP!!.... Chest of drawers/ desk
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:00:38 am »
Hi all and thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope someone with more knowledge than me ( that's not saying much I'm afraid!) can help.

We have an old chest of drawers  ( if I can work out how to post pictures I will  .... I'm a bit antique myself as far as computers go! I've clicked the " image icon" but not getting much further ...yet!). Walnut veneer, 3 drawer, handmade dovetails, scallop on ball foot. Top opens out on 2 large brass hinges to make a desk with 2 struts that slide out from top.

I know the scallop can indicate Queen Anne but the ball foot seems wrong. The handmade dovetails would give some loose idea of age I suppose and brass hinge has always seemed a more expensive option than steel.

An antique dealer offered us £30, saying it wouldn't sell for more than £60.

P.s did " additional options for photos but can't see them in preview so trying photobucket!    here's a link to the album.
http://s613.photobucket.com/user/noggin111/library/furniture?sort=3&page=1

It seems to only show half the picture until you click it. ( Am I showing my ignorance here?   ::) )

Thanks

fingers crossed!

tony
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:17:44 pm by noggin »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: HELP!!.... Chest of drawers/ desk
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 08:20:09 am »
Read the top post on the "TOPICS" title page labeled STICKY and it will tell you about posting pictures.

Make sure you re-size them for E-mail or Web and label each with a name so you can recognize them when previewing for selecting.

And don't rush it because it has been taking several minutes to complete the upload

And ps, you can click "MODIFY" on your above post and add the photos to it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:23:21 am by cogar »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 09:02:29 am »
Yes, pics here are quite easy !! After resizing just click additional options then Browse for your pic, when you open it , it will be in the line that says Attach, if only one pic then just click post and wait till its done !!  If more than one pic, you have to click More attachments with each one before posting !! It has been taking a while for the pics so just don`t get impatient !! It will work !!

noggin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:09:17 pm »
Thanks for help with photos.... I think the link to picturebook library is working. Now just need help with identifying this chest!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 08:36:27 pm »
Can you open the drawer and take a pic of the dovetails on the sides ??  It looks like a repro done in the early 30`s but can`t be sure !!  Also a straight on shot of the hardware and the back will help !! I see some chipping on front so likely a veneered chest !!

noggin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:02:39 am »
Thanks for your time.   Walnut veneer I think. I will take a pic of dovetails etc.   The thing that puzzles me is the opening top, it doesn't seem to fit into any particular timeframe.  I think the nuts on the handles are square but will check next time I pop up to storage.  It was valued a few years ago as being worth £100 -200, sent pics to an auctioneer ( who couldn't be bothered to come out and look) and he said it should sell for much less.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:15:25 am »
Take a pic of that top and how it opens,, So far what they have told you has been correct !! And that is a Queen Anne foot not a ball foot !! There were many of these made in the late 20`s through the 40`s !! The desk top is not unusual !! I take it this is a smaller size chest ??  If in perfect condition it would sell for about $200. or slightly less !! As yours looks with the chips ect. $85. to $100. !!  There is not a huge demand for the reproduction furniture of this era !!  Yours being a smaller type helps with selling for anyone with limited space !!