Author Topic: Is this an Old Roseville Pot?  (Read 2209 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Is this an Old Roseville Pot?
« on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:45 pm »
I purchased this today thinking it was an old unsigned Roseville Pot but I'm still not sure after looking online for one like it and not finding one.

The pot measures about 4 1/4 Inches in width on the top rim and about 3 1/4 Inches in height. There is a lot of old crazing on it all around it (hard to see in the images) and 3 kiln stand marks on the bottom. There is no writing or maker marks on it anywhere.

Does anyone know if this is an old Roseville pot or some other maker and how old it might be?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="576" height="1276" border="0

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an Old Roseville Pot?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:33:34 am »
what a god awful ugly pot....did you have Rose tinted specs on when you bought it... ;D.
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:14:49 am »
Pay him no mind. He has no appreciation for the mundane. I think it is a nice earth tone pot that would look great with a plant in it. It looks like one of the many lesser known American Potteries. Unless documented somewhere, with no markings, you may never no who made it. I have ruled out Roseville, McCoy, Red Wing, Mountainside, Stangl and Pfaltzgraff and all of the Arts and Crafts makers if that will narrow your search. I have pieces marked with MP on the bottom that are not McCoy or Mountainside that have a similar body and glaze. Years later I still do not know who made them

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:49 am »
Frogpatch, thanks for looking into this and your reply! Guess this one will go down into the unknown category with some other items.

Bigwullster, ha ha, funny! You know I like a little humor!  ;D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:01:10 am »
Just looking at pics I would have to agree with Frogpatch !! Colors don`t look right for Roseville but that's not conclusive !!  I think its called a cache pot' for holding a small pot with a plant !! Or plant pot cover if you will !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 12:41:04 pm »
Pay him no mind. He has no appreciation for the mundane. I think it is a nice earth tone pot that would look great with a plant in it. It looks like one of the many lesser known American Potteries. Unless documented somewhere, with no markings, you may never no who made it. I have ruled out Roseville, McCoy, Red Wing, Mountainside, Stangl and Pfaltzgraff and all of the Arts and Crafts makers if that will narrow your search. I have pieces marked with MP on the bottom that are not McCoy or Mountainside that have a similar body and glaze. Years later I still do not know who made them
the only ...Mountainside i like is...Black Mountainside..... ;D....

IlliniGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 02:57:14 pm »
It is a 1930's Nelson McCoy although it is not one of their better glazes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-NELSON-McCOY-4-MATTE-Green-Leaf-Berry-Urn-Scarce-/221255483453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3383dac03d The link is for a similar one in blue.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 04:02:24 pm »
to quote Moriarity...."its a piece of junk!! ;D......next time Kevin...when an insane urge comes over you..to buy ..something ugly....just stop and say Ummmmmm...whilst slowly counting to 10....its never worked for me...but..hey...it might work for you.... ;D

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »
It is a 1930's Nelson McCoy although it is not one of their better glazes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-NELSON-McCOY-4-MATTE-Green-Leaf-Berry-Urn-Scarce-/221255483453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3383dac03d The link is for a similar one in blue.

Holly Molly Nelson McCoy, who would have ever guessed, thanks for finding that IlliniGuy! :)

to quote Moriarity...."its a piece of junk!! ;D......next time Kevin...when an insane urge comes over you..to buy ..something ugly....just stop and say Ummmmmm...whilst slowly counting to 10....its never worked for me...but..hey...it might work for you.... ;D

Bigwull, no, it won't work for me either. I start to think how it would bother me if I missed out on something once I get home. It doesn't work. Best to just get it... I'm pretty set in my ways like I'm sure you are! ;D