Author Topic: Can anyone identify this Seltmann Weiden cup?  (Read 3530 times)

falling leaves

• View Profile
Can anyone identify this Seltmann Weiden cup?
« on: July 29, 2013, 05:18:00 pm »
This cup was made by Seltmann Weiden, a German porcelain company. I have no idea what the name of the pattern is. I would like to be able to find some more pieces to replace some lost from my late grandmother's set. All I have left are 2 demitasse cups and a saucer to match them. I am not sure what the exact date they were produced is although I'm sure they are pre-1989, as the mark on the bottom says they were made in West Germany. My mother thinks they may be from the 70s.

The mark on the bottom says as follows:
Seltmann
Weiden
Bavaria
W.Germany
qualitatporzellan

Please let me know if you have seen anything like this. I have searched the internet for months and have found only a picture of one cup sold on ebay. I have gone to countless antique stores and antique malls looking for it.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this Seltmann Weiden cup?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:35:01 pm »
That style looks about right for 70`s !!  Have you checked with replacements.com ? Or any of the companies that handle replacements ??

falling leaves

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:12 pm »
Yep! I went paged through a couple hundred patterns on replacements.com from that company. I didn't find my little cups. It took a long time because it listed all the current patterns, too, besides the older ones. What other companies besides replacements.com are good to look at for porcelain china?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:35 pm »
I just googled replacement china companies and there are several !! Can`t recommend one because I haven't used them !!  At the bottom of the first page it mentions a china database for hard to find patterns !! Might look there !! If Seltmann Weiden is still in business,, they might be able to help !! Didn`t check to see if they were !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:31:29 pm »
http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/bavaria/weiden_1/00.php

According to this they are still in business !!  Interesting company !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:02:33 pm »
Mart, if it says they are still in business I trust it...because Chris Marshall who owns the site PM&More is also a member of this site!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

falling leaves

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »
They are still in business, that I know. I tried looking at their webpage to see if I could find anything on older patterns, however its all in German. Go figure. The American branch wasn't much help either. Their page focused on the current styles and patterns. And the "contact us" link was for if I wanted to become a customer.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 10:27:28 pm by falling leaves »

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:03:46 am »
They are still in business, that I know. I tried looking at their webpage to see if I could find anything on older patterns, however its all in German. Go figure. The American branch wasn't much help either. Their page focused on the current styles and patterns. And the "contact us" link was for if I wanted to become a customer.
if their website is all in German...you can copy & paste onto a translation...websi te....

http://www.bing.com/translator
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 07:48:29 am »
Mart, if it says they are still in business I trust it...because Chris Marshall who owns the site PM&More is also a member of this site!!!

Oh I know !! Chris hasn`t been on lately !!  Was thinking that the company might identify the pattern name, once you have that the search will be much easier !!  They should have records from that time !!

falling leaves

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:45:05 am »
I translated the Seltmann Weiden webpage to see if I could find a "contact us'' or an email address to inquire about the pattern name but didn't have any luck. I checked other replacement companies and couldn't find my cups. So, now I just sent an email to research@replacements.com, which is their email address if anyone would want a pattern identified. Hopefully they will find it. Now I get to wait 5 business days for a reply.

Ipcress

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:26:10 am »
I translated the Seltmann Weiden webpage to see if I could find a "contact us'' or an email address to inquire about the pattern name but didn't have any luck.

service@seltmann.com

foodservice@frieling.com - their offices in America.

falling leaves

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 10:29:04 am »
Oh! Thank you!

falling leaves

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 07:14:48 am »
Well I am thoroughly frustrated. The lady I contacted at the American branch couldn't help me. Her contact at the German factory couldn't find it in the catalogs. Although, he gave me a new peice of info: the production year was 1979.

Does anyone else have suggestions for me? I'm still waiting to hear back from the identification people at replacements.com.

Ipcress

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2013, 08:43:11 am »
There's a similar cup on Amazon.

What you're looking for is a needle in a field of needles. The production run was probably small and most in the public domain will have been disposed of by now

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2013, 11:01:19 am »
You might post a "wanted" on the replacement sites and cross your fingers !!