Author Topic: Antique Bronze or Copper Motif Enamel Bowl Marked, "CHINA", help with date?  (Read 1952 times)

ecoffey0310

• View Profile
I found this piece at a local thrift store today and can't seem to figure out exactly when and by whom it was made or whether or not it is actually an antique. I found this photo: http://webhosting.web.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://www.idcloisonne.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/taggedMarks/fxchinese20sbowl1.jpg&target=tlx_picv6yy

Unfortunatly the website I found the photo on does not seem to know anything about this marking either! Any advice, sources, or input would be very much appreciated!! Thanks.

fancypants

• View Profile
Could you post an image of the "China" mark that you've mentioned , please ?

Your item appears to be cloisanne .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ecoffey0310

• View Profile
Here is mark, sorry uploading troubles:

ecoffey0310

• View Profile
Please see my other post, there are more pics. I had uploading issues and I am sorry about the double posts!

fancypants

• View Profile
From what I'm seeing , my two cents will comment that your item is certainly not an antique , ecoffey0310 !
(antique being 100 or more years old)

As to who made it & where , no clue here on modern items such as this .

On the 'up' side of things , hang on to it for 90 or so years & it will be a 'real antique' !

ecoffey0310

• View Profile
Here is the inside of the bowl, not very attractive, heheh

ecoffey0310

• View Profile
Thank you for your response fancypants!

Anyone else have any input?

mart

• View Profile
When they are marked like that they are not of quality for sure !! Probably from an import store !! Looks like yours may have been used as a dog bowl !! Inside is gone !! Is it lightweight ??

fancypants

• View Profile
Many items are/have been on the market from manufacture in China , many with phoney hallmarks on them &/or hallmarks intended to imitate actual antique marks , so even stuff that looks old can be only a month or two , ecoffey .

I like the honesty-in-hallmarking on yours .

Just tons of items that are hand-made/hand-crafted from China !

English (or 'nearly' english) "made in china" tags/hallmarks are usually an indicator of modern manufactured origins .

Here's a great site with plenty of asian hallmarks , if you're interested in the free resource , ecoffey0310  ... www.gotheborg.com

;)