Author Topic: Some new items bought today  (Read 2739 times)

capot1948

• View Profile
Some new items bought today
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:31:21 pm »
We picked up a few new glass items while in Salado today. We only spent $40.00 for all three items. The two plates were half price which made my wife happy. I just finished buying five books on pattern and depression glass from half price books so maybe in a few weeks I'll be a little smarter. Here's some photos, I believe these are all pattern glass.

Top of Compote

Side View

View of bottom

Plate Top View

capot1948

• View Profile
Re: Some new items bought today
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:08 pm »
Here are photos of the rest of the plates

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 07:25:59 pm »
First three pics are one item,, the sherbet dish,, aren`t they ??  Last two are larger than dinner plates are they not ??  They look like cake plates/servers !! Regular dinner plates would not have that type edge !!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:37:47 pm »
Yes, first three are from what the tag said was a Compote. The other two are pretty large plates. I need to remember to add measurements to my postings. I've got them written down on 3x5 cards but then I forget what goes to what, typical for me.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:45:54 pm »
I especially like the compote dish, although I must admit that (with my early morning bkeary eyes) my heart sank when it looked as if you'd knocked a chunk from the stem base! What is that rim pattern called (the wave)?

Are you planning to use these or just have them for display?

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:27 am »
Morning Mariok54, put your heart back where it belongs, what looks like a chunk is really a part of one of my wife's sweaters that I use to photograph items on.

This is a photo of the bottom, no chunk missing. According to the folks at the EAPG Facebook page this is Imperial pattern 282 or Hobstar.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 07:58:49 am »
Hi capot, yes I realised that once I'd cleaned my specs and had a cup of coffee to banish the sleep. I do like that piece. You don't say whether you'll use them or not....

I'm going after some glassware this Saturday at a local auction, but I'm keeping what it is under my hat .. I think that it's a bit of a sleeper and I may get it at a very good hammer price ....  fingers crossed!

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 08:13:59 am »
Sorry, was still on my first cup myself. My wife said she plans on only using it on special occasions such as Thanksgiving or Christmas and then probably only put mints or something in it. Good luck at your auction, I guess someday we need to start going to estate sales to see what we can find. This is all still new to us so we're slowly getting our feet wet.

Chris

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 08:20:32 am »
Hi Chris, Mints would look lovely ... I am always of the opinion that things should be used whenever possible .... we do, but taking that extra bit of care when using and when washing afterwards is a pain, but worth it.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:35 am »
With that short stem (looks like) sherbet dish is more likely than compote which is usually taller !! But,, I am not the glass person you know and each company can have variations !!  That's the first time I have ever heard of the bottom being used to define a pattern !!  Do they know how many Hobstar patterns there are ?? Almost every glass Mfr has one or two in some variation !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:44 am »
You could be right mart ... I always think of sherbet dishes as being more squat, but compote dishes as being more elegant .... just me !!  ;D

capot1948

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:37 am »
I'm definitely not a glass person, I had to look at the sales slip again, it does say glass compote. As far as Hobstar patterns I googled it and here is what I got:

https://www.google.com/search?q=imperial+glass+hobstar+pattern&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=P_QpUqn4NImjrQGAuYGIDw&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1351&bih=834