Author Topic: Antique oil painting of nun on wood panel , artist signature & age help?  (Read 14097 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique oil painting of nun on wood panel , artist signature & age help?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 07:11:17 pm »
Check the link and it will give you hours they are open !!  Like I said it may be nothing,,,but doesn`t hurt to ask !!  Maybe they can give you some insight on your painting !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 07:32:56 pm »
I just sent them an email with the picture link asking for their help.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  Even though my painting has been called creepy and unattractive by a couple of people I think it is well done and I like it.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2013, 08:04:35 pm »
Did you find this painting in Massachusetts?

The one thing that all three of the paintings included in this topic might have in common besides the subject matter is Massachusetts.
One was sold at an auction there...one was framed there...and yours is marked "MA" on the back.
????

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:46 am »
I found it in Maine.  Of course we are very close to MA so it does make sense. 

Ipcress

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:02 am »
http://www.mrarts.org/information.html
Ok Now this may be a total coincidence but I googled the first set of numbers without the Roma or Roo Ma and one of the listings was a vague set of directions, US 680 1 1/2 mi. south of Logan Utah,, 2697 Niagara Trail I think it was !!  It was all ,like I said rather vague, but it was directions to the above !!  Museum of Religious Arts !!  Phone 712-644-3888 !! Wondering if maybe this organization has something to do with it or maybe it was shown there at some time !!  Might be worth a call !! Since it for religious art maybe they know something or can help !!

What an amazing coincidence !! 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2013, 07:24:30 am »
Well, you know that it doesn`t make any difference what you put in google,,something will be found somewhere !!  Its possible that the name at the bottom JD Roo (may be a misspelling) could have something to do with it !! And the Roo  Ma above could me a last name and MA for Maine !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2013, 08:22:59 am »
Pure speculation on my part; but let us assume for the moment that 3 paintings of the identical subject could originate in Massachusetts. To me that could mean that 3+ individuals partook in an art instruction class, with each painting / copying the same thing.
BTW: Checking the “white pages”, I do see the surname “Roo” appearing in MA.

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2013, 09:16:17 am »
Pure speculation on my part; but let us assume for the moment that 3 paintings of the identical subject could originate in Massachusetts. To me that could mean that 3+ individuals partook in an art instruction class, with each painting / copying the same thing.
BTW: Checking the “white pages”, I do see the surname “Roo” appearing in MA.
  But what were they copying?  One is on wood and 2 were on canvas?  Wouldn't they all be using the same in an art class?  Just trying to run different ideas.  I have been looking through thousands of paintings trying to figure out the inspiration. Where is the smiley that is banging its head agianst the wall?  lol

Ipcress

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2013, 10:45:05 am »
Well, you know that it doesn`t make any difference what you put in google,,something will be found somewhere !!  Its possible that the name at the bottom JD Roo (may be a misspelling) could have something to do with it !! And the Roo  Ma above could me a last name and MA for Maine !!

ma is in lower case though.  And it's JB, i think, with " ~00 " possibly as a date. Just can't see it being JD or JB Roo. It's definitely not a capital R.

Chasing ghosts here, i think

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2013, 11:10:09 am »
Any guesses on a date?  Time period?  The paint seems to have some age on it because it does have cracking. I think you may be right on the not being roo.  It just may be someone's interpetation of it on the back.  Do you know of any times that you have seen the 00 used on a painting?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2013, 01:39:01 pm »
Possibly a live model rather than working from another painting !!  Therefore different interpretations !!  Many old school artists did this !!  I meant MA for Massachusetts, instead of Maine !!  Thinking about too many states here !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2013, 07:47:30 am »
This one by Brekelenkam, Quiringh van (ca. 1622 - ca. 1669) has a similar tone to it.

Ipcress

« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2013, 10:06:22 am »
Any guesses on a date?  Time period?  The paint seems to have some age on it because it does have cracking. I think you may be right on the not being roo.  It just may be someone's interpetation of it on the back.  Do you know of any times that you have seen the 00 used on a painting?

Yes, two figures for a date is very common. So '00 would be 1900 here. However, i'm not immediately convinced the wood is that old.
Difficult to tell under flash photography.

" Panel " is normally reserved for an oak or something similar. Thicker than " board ", which is normally used when describing a lighter, thinner wood. Thicker panels tend to be much older works, whereas boards are generally within the last 150 years or so.

One of those situations where we're unlikely to confirm the origin of these paintings but my best educated guess would be an art class or similar. Very common to find people painting in the manner of a well known master or painting, but three almost identical works of an otherwise unknown subject ?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:41 am »

ma is in lower case though.  And it's JB, i think, with " ~00 " possibly as a date. Just can't see it being JD or JB Roo. It's definitely not a capital R.

Chasing ghosts here, i think
You,hit the nail on the head....and not before time.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,