Author Topic: Vintage Cardboard Fan  (Read 3152 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Vintage Cardboard Fan
« on: September 21, 2013, 01:57:39 pm »
This lithographed jungle scene is printed on a three-piece spread. The cardboard is about the thickness and pliability of a cereal box. To me it looks like something from the 1930s. This is something I want to sell AT MY GARAGE SALE, but I've been reluctant to put it out as it is something that looks like it might easily "walk off". I was curious as to a price range that would be reasonable when I post it on CL, eBay Classifieds or Facebook Online Sale. Thanks.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Vintage Cardboard Fan
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
What you have there is an advertising fan .... a similar one can be seen here

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectephemera.html

Haven't found any for sale yet, but I imagine they could be quite collectable

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:14:45 pm »
Here is one for sale on Ruby Lane which will be slightly overpriced, although I think yours is more desirable so you should be able to ask the same ... at least.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/680926-Cardboardx20Fanx20Choristers/Cardboard-Advertising-Fan-Youthful-Choristers

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
There doesn't seem to be anything that I can find for the Lumber Company after 1951 .. so your fan could be from that period or a little earlier

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:52:19 pm »
I wrote to the Rutland, VT historian for info on the company, but of course, being the weekend, I don't expect an answer right away.

The one with the choirboys is $22 and I looked for other ones. Religious themes seemed to be popular when these items were manufactured, I saw some depicting the Last Supper - probably premiums form funeral homes. Mine would probably be of more interest to someone from Rutland, about 75 miles from me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:57:08 pm by debodun »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 03:12:37 pm »
These may have bee produced by the thousands, but they were never meant to survive 50 + years, so one in good condition will appeal to a collector, whether they be in Rutland or not. I did notice that two of the sections seem a slightly different colour?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 03:36:23 pm »
Better get that smiley face tag off of it and hope the glue hasn`t bled into the paper !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 03:40:02 pm »
Better get that smiley face tag off of it and hope the glue hasn`t bled into the paper !!

I think that is part of the design, mart, the sun ... I did wonder at first then I blew it up ... does seem odd to have a sun with that expression!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »
It is part of the design, not a sticker. It is supposed to be a comical picture - the lion with a coconut on his nose, a cat playing a saxophone...

The center panel is the topmost, so probably darker than the more protected panels.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 04:03:10 pm »
Well I`ll be darned !!  So it is !!  Should have enlarged it first !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 02:18:11 am »
Mart, you cracked me up!!!  I thought it was the sun until you said smiley face sticker....now it just keeps looking like a smiley face!  LOLOL

I just cleaned out a cabinet and came across 8 old advertising fans (I hold on to them because we lose electricity quite often here in Texas with our amazing storms).  None are as uniquely made as yours...mine are simply wooden handles with cardboard fan areas...no open/shut.

These are becoming more collectible over time.  $15 to $20 is a
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:44 am »
We used to have those in church before we could afford larger window units or central air !! It was a small country church back when Mesquite was a country town !!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 09:18:30 am »
I just heard form the Rutland, VT historian. Here is her reply:

According to our Rutland Directories, Smith Lumber Co. was at 321 West St from 1919 to the late 60s early 70s, but had the building department store at 80 West St only between 1933 and 1946, so that would be the time period for your fan.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 09:21:07 am »
NICE!  The more I look at the fan the more I really like it!  Amusing!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!