Author Topic: Does this Islamic Khorassan look 12th century?  (Read 3306 times)

jumpontopski

• View Profile
Does this Islamic Khorassan look 12th century?
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:09:14 pm »
Persian Islamic Khorassan Multi Spout Bronze Oil Lamp Middle East Islamic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271282420411

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Does this Islamic Khorassan look 12th century?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 07:21:33 pm »
Who said it was 12th century.......by the looks of it....its lucky if its the 20th century.....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »
Similar ones that have sold on Christies say 12th or 13th century. What about it makes you think it is so new???

Who said it was 12th century.......by the looks of it....its lucky if its the 20th century.....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:48:11 pm »
But we,re not talking about Christies here...we are talking ebay with a start price of $9,99....for something that is allegedly 900 years old.....

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:27 pm »
But take the price and the fact that it is on eBay out of the equation. Is there something visually or otherwise that would make you think it is that new??? I have seen many multi thousand dollar items on eBay starting at $0.99 to $9.99

But we,re not talking about Christies here...we are talking ebay with a start price of $9,99....for something that is allegedly 900 years old.....

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:05:52 pm »
from where i,m sitting....it does,nt look 900 years old...its just my opinion...it could have been made last week....for something that "old"....i would expect to see deterioration..of some sort.....this looks like its never seen a flame in its life....

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
How big is your monitor?

from where i,m sitting....it does,nt look 900 years old...its just my opinion...it could have been made last week....for something that "old"....i would expect to see deterioration..of some sort.....this looks like its never seen a flame in its life....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 08:22:04 pm »
This seller is in Maryland, USA don`t you wonder where they would have run across an item from the 12th century ??  A garage sale maybe ??  The description of it states "pre 1800" and I would doubt that !!  One thing you learn in the antique business is to start with the assumption that it is not what they say,,until they prove it is,, or you prove it to your satisfaction !!  Never rely on what a person says when they are trying to sell you something !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »
How big is your monitor?

What does that have to do with anything ??  Mine is a 14 in. notebook !!

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 12:55:08 am »
The truth is it's impossible to be certain of anything just from those pictures on Ebay .... but if you like the look of it, it has a very low starting bid, then go for it, but as mart says you must always consider the possibility that it isn't necessarily as described.

There is wear to this lamp, and a degree of patina, all of which could be faked I suppose, but the lid 'hinge' is interesting. I don't think it was made yesterday or last week .... but could it be 100 years old? 200 years old? Who knows ...

However, take a look at what this seller has sold in the past, s/he seems to have sold a few interesting although not necessarily expensive pieces. Back in June they sold a Persian Islamic tray for $331

Large Fine Islamic Persian Qajar Brass Tray Qalamzani Work Birds & Foliage 15"

The buyer of the tray seems to have an interest in Islamic pieces so was obviously fairly convinced that the tray was original. If this is an interesting piece,  then I think you'll see the bids start to mount .... if it stays cheap, then maybe snap up a bargain?

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 02:28:58 am »
Here is one that was described as  12th century , which sold for £131, but that degree of wear is what you might expect from many pieces that are 900 years old,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12th-Century-Islamic-Persian-Khorasan-Khorassan-Bronze-Oil-Lamp-/251241042486?nma=true&si=UCknE9b37wNYYz4t0VHJyV8%252BY1E%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

but some do survive in amazing condition http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/2001.470

Here's a multi spout one that sold on ebay for £127 ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Islamic-bronze-triple-spouted-oil-lamp-Khorassan-type-C12th-or-later-/290890028672

This is such a difficult area to get right!

jumpontopski

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 05:05:16 am »
I don't understand why you think Maryland would not have 12th century items???

This seller is in Maryland, USA don`t you wonder where they would have run across an item from the 12th century ??  A garage sale maybe ??  The description of it states "pre 1800" and I would doubt that !!  One thing you learn in the antique business is to start with the assumption that it is not what they say,,until they prove it is,, or you prove it to your satisfaction !!  Never rely on what a person says when they are trying to sell you something !!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:47:07 am »
I did not say that !! I just look at the likely possibility of a 12th century item showing up there !! I am just normally skeptical of anything on ebay !! Like I said earlier,, I look at everything with the opinion that it is not what they say,,until either they can prove it is or I do !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 12:31:09 pm »
How big is your monitor?

..how big is my monitor.....42in... .main screen....or  19in laptop....

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 09:43:04 pm »
BigWullie you crack me up!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."