Author Topic: Art Con at the auction house  (Read 2029 times)

Rauville

• View Profile
Art Con at the auction house
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:07:50 pm »
Just started reading the latest issue of M.A.D., and noticed they referenced this article in their editorial. Interesting, and a good lesson for all buyers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-27/warning-to-art-buyers-over-fakes/4916264

Ipcress

Re: Art Con at the auction house
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:19:07 pm »
Lots of this happening unfortunately.

Some auction houses know it, too.

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:37 pm »
I've been once bitten twice shy with purchasing prints in frames under glass.. Seen more than enough of them at the TS. I only wonder where they originated from before getting there...

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 03:58:55 pm »
Yeah, although this story is about fine art, the decorative art world has major issues of fraud as well that have been documented over the years. I maintain this is one of the reasons antique sales have been in the dumps for over decade now, younger buyers simply dont trust the market and do not have the time to educate themselves. The result, lower sales numbers for less money per object. This has led heavy hitters like Sotheby & Christie's to increase their BP to 30%, i dont think thats going to work out for them long term, it's just to much and has turned off buyers in droves.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 07:13:37 pm »
I've been once bitten twice shy with purchasing prints in frames under glass.. Seen more than enough of them at the TS. I only wonder where they originated from before getting there...

A print is just that,, a printed reproduction of an artwork !!  Many major artists have prints made of their work  !!  In todays market its a pretty reliable source of income !!  If someone likes the artists work they are much more likely to buy a print at $100. than an original at several times that amount !!  Its a matter of economics !!  Buying a print at a thrift store wouldn`t worry me !! I bought what I thought was a print at a garage sale for $2.,,turned out to be an original watercolor of pheasants by Maynard Reese !! Pretty decent wildlife artist !!  Think I still have it somewhere !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »
I was referring to original signed number prints and wood block prints... sorry... A lot of those at the TS and other sources I've seen turned out to be cut from magazines and books. Buyer beware...

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 11:25:38 pm »
If there is a way to make money through illegal means then someone will exploit it. The two individuals in this case seem to have had a history of being less than honest.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:14:21 am »
I spend a lot of time in the classic car world. It's a simple thing to turn a 1969 Camaro into a Z28, and it happens all the time with $20K added to the price. It's sad how many people take advantage of others this way.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:27 am »
Thanks for sharing the article.

Unfortunately this happens in all areas of collecting.  So sad!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Ipcress

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 01:39:56 am »
I was referring to original signed number prints and wood block prints... sorry... A lot of those at the TS and other sources I've seen turned out to be cut from magazines and books. Buyer beware...

Quite easy to tell if you can look at them first hand, even if their under glass. Not so good if you're on the phone talking to someone who doesn't know their chromolithos from their silkscreens, silkscreens from their watercolours.

There's an auction house on the south coast of England who regularly get works bearing signatures of listed artists, some of whom are quite scarce and not English. The thing is, they're not by those artists. I think the auction house knows because they often use the term " indistinctly signed " in the description when the signature is quite clear, whereas they should describe them as " follower of ******* " and indicate they are painted in the manner of said artist and not an original. They don't.