Author Topic: Human head effigy pot?  (Read 11210 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Human head effigy pot?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 06:14:58 pm »
I know, it is so nuts.  What are people thinking???   When I was young the worst I did was forge a library pass to get out of study hall.

Shame on you !!  I wasn`t even brave enough to skip a class in school much less the whole day !!  Got detention once but I forgot what I did !! Only drug I knew was Miller High Life !!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 06:39:35 pm »
Any day something is learned is a good day.  Any day there is open discussion where others learn is a great day!

Ipcress

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:40 am »
what other way is there to describe them...i can,t say the N word....i could say African....but then not every one that comes from Africa....is a Negro...I,m not using it in a racist manner....i,m using it to describe the features on the heads.....but if i have offended anyone....i make no apologies....

'Them'? You really do need to take more care Bigwull ... for all you know I might be one of 'them', 'they' can hail from anywhere and be called anything ... and then I'd certainly expect an apology.

I've seen the term used and defined scientifically online but admit it's a bloody horrible word.

One term i often use with ethnic or African art is ' nubian '. Strictly speaking, it relates to North African region around the Nile but i think it's universal now.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 04:26:56 am »
what other way is there to describe them...i can,t say the N word....i could say African....but then not every one that comes from Africa....is a Negro...I,m not using it in a racist manner....i,m using it to describe the features on the heads.....but if i have offended anyone....i make no apologies....

'Them'? You really do need to take more care Bigwull ... for all you know I might be one of 'them', 'they' can hail from anywhere and be called anything ... and then I'd certainly expect an apology.

I've seen the term used and defined scientifically online but admit it's a bloody horrible word.

One term i often use with ethnic or African art is ' nubian '. Strictly speaking, it relates to North African region around the Nile but i think it's universal now.

Ya'll quit criticizing that European European and this European American for the verbiage we sometimes utter. And PS, start referring to us by the correct "continental" heritage origin.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:51 am »

Ya'll quit criticizing that European European and this European American for the verbiage we sometimes utter. And PS, start referring to us by the correct "continental" heritage origin.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry for moving away from the humour, but my main concern was not to do with the use of the term 'negroid', although it is an offensive word to many, with some very unpleasant connotations (and I personally do not like it), my concern was with the general tone of what was said. Now, I may have misinterpreted the intent, and for that I would readily apologise, but to then read "but if i have offended anyone....i make no apologies...", then I find that truly offensive. Whatever the ethos is of a Forum such as this one, then that cannot be part of it. If it is, then despite all the lovely people on it, I would want nothing to do with it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 11:49:25 am »
Upon further reading on this...I have found that the reference Congoid is also used.  But, if you put in Congoid to the search engine....it brings up the definition for Negroid!  AND the term Congoid is offensive to many people as well.  Whew!

I have discussed the term Nubian (as Ipcress said that they have used) and I had to explain what that was and people/relatives that "this term could be referred to" stated that doesn't describe them!  Whew!

What I find interesting (having raised 3 children of different nationalities and having relatives of different ones as well) is that...if you use other terms like the one listed above...you will 98% of the time have to explain what it is that you are saying because people will not be familiar with the term/s...and then you have to really be careful in your word choices because your are going into detailed explanation and having to be politically correct.

The other sad thing is that when words are typed on a computer pad and read by others, it doesn't always have the conveyance of the writer's emotions intent.  When someone reads it...they have different background, different exposures to things and may be having a "bad day"...thus they can read it in a totally different way.  The joys of our "progressive world of technology" that we all have to learn to live with.

I personally will always be mindful and try my best to describe things in relation to historical means and descriptions and NEVER intend to be harmful...but educational.  We are all uniquely and wonderfully made!

Stepping down from today's soap box....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 01:26:13 pm »
Perception is always an interesting element in a discussion.  Learning about other people's background is a good way to be respectful.  I too have had some interesting experiences having a biracial son ( he is half Thai).  While he was growing up things got interesting sometimes and not always in a good way.  Although, his experiences paved the way for the current generation to be more accepted in this area.  My son was one of very few mixed race children at the time in our area.  It's all about growing and learning.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »
I...know all about...being biracial....I am half Ukrainian...born in the early 1950,s ..my mother was Scottish and my father was from the Ukraine...but came here as a  German POW...having fought for the Germans...and lucky enough to have been captured by the Americans....had he been captured by the British...I most certainly would .nt be sitting here writing this...I went to school aged 5 ..and could,nt speak, any Scottish/English....i spoke a mix of German/Russian...i was ridiculed...by...ot her children....called names....you name it..i got it......but...my Gran...use to tell me...."Sticks & Stones"may break your  bones......but names will never harm you.....and they never have....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 02:38:38 pm »
Was your father in WW2? 

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 02:56:48 pm »
Yes...and this is his Unit sign...which was for the Waffen  SS Galician Division...or to give it its full German name....14th Grenadier Der SS....Thousands of these POWs..settled in America...and many were later recruited into the CIA......i have a friend who lives near to Chicago...and the town he lives in...almost 50%..of the population are descendants of SS soldiers....this town is called St Charles....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

icedgold10

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 06:05:49 pm »
My uncle was in the CBI theater.  He died at the age of 21 when his plane crashed while flying over the Hump bringing supplies to China during WW2.  Here is a link to The Rathbone Museum Facebook page and the tribute he did for my uncle last year.  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151065997900380&set=a.10151065991835380.486503.108645525379&type=3&theater   I got his belongings last year when my brother suddenly and unexpectedly passed away last year.  Everything had been sitting in the suitcase for 70 years.  Now it's where others can see it.

Strangely enough the man who owned my house before me turned out to have been in the war too.  I needed my roof fixed and when the roofer pulled up a section of the roof there was a German officer's cap under it.

A very sad war as they all are.  No one really wins.  My grandmother was from Germany but moved here before the war.