Author Topic: Artist's Name - Old Oil Painting  (Read 2861 times)

kdj

• View Profile
Artist's Name - Old Oil Painting
« on: October 09, 2013, 03:22:03 pm »
Hello,
Would anyone know about an oil painting of two white cranes or herons standing in a marsh?
Artist Signature - Bean - is written in what looks like chalk on back of the canvas. Does anyone know what the artist's first name is?

It is 14 x 24 inches.

This painting hung in my Granmother's house in Wisconsin for a very long time before it came to me 50 years ago.
Thank you in advance!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Artist's Name - Old Oil Painting
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:09:37 pm »
That is not likely the artists name !! More likely a past owner !!  No signature on bottom ?? Even covered by frame ??   Or is it framed ?? Hard to tell,, it looks irregular in the first pic !!
Never mind !! I see its laying on cardboard now !!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 06:15:04 pm by mart »

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »
The painting has a wood tray style frame. The aged glass shattered so I put the oil painting in a protective sleeve. I have not found a name on the painting itself ... yet.
I had searched for paintings of a similar style. The only artist that I came up with,  a while back, is John Bean and now can't find the same web site.
Since I did not find a signature on the front of the painting, I thought Bean might be the name to search for?
Thanks for your opinion!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:34:53 pm »
http://johnbeanart.com/?page_id=532

No it isn`t him !! Here is a link to his portfolio page !!  This painting is most likely early 1900`s !!  Its possible that you may never find out who the artist is !! It was common for traveling artists to go from town to town painting all types of things !! Many were not signed because it was simply a way to make money,, not a career for them and many couldn`t write !! !!  You might look through google images and see if you can find one with a similar style from that time period !! Say 1900 to 1930 or so !!  During this time,and even before, Audubon prints were popular so perhaps someone took advantage of this and painted similar bird/waterfowl paintings !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »
Thanks! I saw that one too. I found he one place I did see the John Bean I was thinking of! It is at askart.com, but you have to be a paying member to see the work. Now that I bookmarked that site, I will look at all of the last names of Bean. There are several.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:30:12 pm »
I don`t use those sites !!  Could be the same as the link I gave you,, he was on several sites !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:40 pm »
Those kind of sites are exhausting. You can search for hours and most want money.
I am pleased to compliment those that belong to Antique-shop.com  because of the helpful people that  give opinions so I really appreciate being able to ask you for help! I did check out a few more Bean names but as you might guess, registration and some dollars are required to see anything.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 06:40:40 am »
Going out on a limb here.  I wonder if this was a 'home artist's' rendition of another piece? I came across this screen with a very similar scene...... the one you have posted seems to contain bits of both the larger panels.........the overhanging ferns as opposed to whatever those other weird plants are but with the lily pads from the other panel. The brush strokes seem to mimic those on the panel to the right, but the poses are similar to those on the left.  Most likely I just need more caffeine   :-\

http://ancientpoint.com/inf/5096-antique_1890s_aesthetic_stork_oil_paintings__oak_stick__ball_screen_nr.html

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 06:44:56 am »
Okay, ignore the 'brush strokes'  comment I made..........took another look after a shot of pepsi and realized it wasn't different brush strokes..........it's bloody different birds!  So the cranes with the longer feathers are in the pose of the flamingo looking ones.  Back to the bottle for me.  :P

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 08:51:53 am »
What is your general location ?? Don`t have time now but later I will look through the list and see if I can find one near your area !!

kdj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »
Sapphire, thank you! Those panels are very similar in style, paticularly the lily pads.
Mart, this painting was from my Grandmother in Wisconsin. There are a lot of marsh areas with these water birds where she lived. However, her mother and father came here from England, and my Grandfather from Scotland. Both families brought some interesting things with them. So, I do not know if this old oil is even from the U.S.
Just once, some time ago, I saw a VERY similar painting on Google Images. The same bold, heavy, dark appearance. I book-marked that and after a computer crash, lost that one.